Which controller?????

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
New to light shows. Next year im going to just start out by putting lights on my roof line and maybe around my garage door. If i get that figured out and all works fine, I will add to it the following year. But for now I am looking for assistance in controllers. ( and maybe light choice) I have been playing with xlights for about 2 weeks now and watched a lot of videos/seminars. So, I will be using xlights for the software and 5v lighting strings. Total roof line is 90ft and if i do the garage that adds 35ft. Longest stretch would be 28 ft and 7 the shortest. I have no preference if its a wireless controller or not as I can run cat5/6 wire to controller/ power box which will be pretty well centered. I did purchase a 5v 60a 300 watt power supply from Alitove. So I would like a controller that will work on approximately 14 strings of ws2811 5v as well as work with xlights. I would also like a real simple controller, still works with xlights that just runs a single strand. Just want to be able to mess around a little to get the hang of it. I purchased 1 string of ALITOVE WS2811 12mm Diffused Digital RGB LED Pixel Light Individually Addressable Round LED Pixels Module IP68 Waterproof DC 5V 50pcs/Set.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf

TerryK

Retired Elf
I would suggest Falcon as well. The Falcons are well supported here by ACL members and they ship from the US southwest. I would ask however, where did you purchase the Alitove WS2811 LEDs?

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
I would suggest Falcon as well. The Falcons are well supported here by ACL members and they ship from the US southwest. I would ask however, where did you purchase the Alitove WS2811 LEDs?
Off amazon. I bought a string and a uno r3. I was watching a YouTube video of some guy that made a couple VU Meters and that's what he was using. I just wanted to try and do something.

TerryK

Retired Elf
I suspected. One needs to be careful because most of the Amazon pixel strings use 20/22 AWG wire. 18 AWG is highly recommended. The Amazon strings work but they give a greater voltage drop and require more power injection to compensate. Also, best as I can determine, 12 Volt WS2811 Regulated pixels are not yet available on Amazon.

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
Lights purchased

Attachments

• 16095622748557438362278144119143.jpg
    16095622748557438362278144119143.jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 16095623456254233522456079277243.jpg
    16095623456254233522456079277243.jpg
    704 KB · Views: 13

chris19681986

Apprentice elf

TerryK

Retired Elf
You will be able to use them. As I mentioned, with the smaller AWG wire the pixels will be subjected to increased voltage drop and additional power injection can compensate. I did the same, purchased some items from Amazon to begin, moved myself up the learning curve a bit, and learned what to look for and what to avoid. Another point or 2, you will likely at some point need or want to replace the JST connector. A JST connector is not liquid/water resistant (inside OK, outside not so much) and a friction connection (can be pulled apart). Pixel spacing on these is 3 inch too. Four inch is more common and fits props better.

Quite a few individuals direct order from Ray Wu (AliExpress) or Paul Zhang. You might also check RGB Man, Wired Watts, and/or Wally's Lights. Or these:

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
Thank you. Any help or suggestions, good or bad, I welcome. I need to start someplace. No props this coming year. just roof line and maybe the garage door. I Do have another question. I can place the controller / power supply box pretty much centered on the roof line. run 45ft one way and 45 ft the other way. Will data be fine going that distance or do I need to compensate for that as well? Ill get the f4 that uncledan suggested since he said it can be expanded. If i do props the following year it will be leaping arches along the sidewalk which will be about 75ft from control/power box location in garage. Will be using strips in them.. THANKS A LOT !!!!!!!!!!!

PS: Any knowledge on BTF lighting?

TerryK

Retired Elf
You're welcome. We all begin somewhere. Most do begin small and enlarge their display over time. Doing so helps avoid becoming overwhelmed.

Data line runs up to about 30 feet work fairly well, generally. Some layouts have problems at that length and sometimes shorter. At 45 feet, I would plan on adding a F-Amp.
I have a pair of Falcon F4s, nice controller. I've looked at the F16 but it doesn't quite fit where I want to go. I see another F4 or so and possibly a F48 in a season to two. I order strips and some connectors from BTF Lighting via Amazon. Fairly cost competitive and quick delivery.

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
My advice is buy a buy a Falcon F4v3. https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=51&controller=product Not cheap @$125.00 but room for expansion in the future. You could also get a pi and PiCap for about half the cost. Only gives you two outputs and no room for expansion. https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=47&controller=product
You're welcome. We all begin somewhere. Most do begin small and enlarge their display over time. Doing so helps avoid becoming overwhelmed.

Data line runs up to about 30 feet work fairly well, generally. Some layouts have problems at that length and sometimes shorter. At 45 feet, I would plan on adding a F-Amp.
I have a pair of Falcon F4s, nice controller. I've looked at the F16 but it doesn't quite fit where I want to go. I see another F4 or so and possibly a F48 in a season to two. I order strips and some connectors from BTF Lighting via Amazon. Fairly cost competitive and quick delivery.
I bought the f16v3 today. Never have to worry about needing extra room now

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
My advice is buy a buy a Falcon F4v3. https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=51&controller=product Not cheap @$125.00 but room for expansion in the future. You could also get a pi and PiCap for about half the cost. Only gives you two outputs and no room for expansion. https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=47&controller=product
I bought the f16v3 today. Never ever going to have to worry about running out of room. Pretty much overkill.

chris19681986

Apprentice elf
I bought the f16v3 today. Never ever going to have to worry about running out of room. Pretty much overkill.