Why all the ports on a controller…

BrianZ

Full time elf
When you’re limited to the power supply?This is probably the most frustrating part about pixels. For example, a F4v3 controller with 4 ports should be able to run approx. 1000 pixels per port, totaling 4000 pixels for this controller, right? But you’re limited to the power supply. So, this controller can run 1000 pixels total at approx. 30% brightness with 1 power supply. And that doesn’t include the power injection. If you want to use the other ports and go beyond 1000 pixels, you’ll need to add a 2 power supply. Or am I missing something here?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Because for redundancy or power purposes, you wont want to load each port to 100%.
Some like top run 1 prop per port, for example./

BrianZ

Full time elf
My idea is to connect about 750 icicle pixels from port one by daisy chaining the pixels to each other and power injecting them. My issue is, port 2,3, and 4 are dead unless I add an additional power supply. Because this power supply will be close to its limit.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Alternatively, if you're injecting, you could just do that on all, dont connect the power via the controller, just data and ground, and use the other three ports standalone.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
You don't have to use the controller's port power to feed the pixels. You can just use the data and ground and use another power supply to run them.

darylc

404 darylc not found
if you are talking the F4v3 controller with a typical 350W PSU you get around 30A.

You can use an absolute max of 20A via the 4 pixel ports so you have 10A left to inject from the same power supply.

BrianZ

Full time elf
if you are talking the F4v3 controller with a typical 350W PSU you get around 30A.

You can use an absolute max of 20A via the 4 pixel ports so you have 10A left to inject from the same power supply.
How many pixels in total will I be able to use with this controller and 1 power supply then?

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
You never stated the size of your power supply. There are many different sizes for power supplies that can be used instead of the default lrs-350-12.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I would say hop into chat, but you're already in it. Much easier to figure this out in chat. Everyone replying is in chat. Don't be scared.. we don't bite!