Why can't I add an effect to the timeline.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
I have just set up X-Lights and when I drag an effect to the time line it doesn't add it just disappears. Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

See attached screen shot.

Cheers in advance.

Attachments

• XLights.jpg
    XLights.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 26

Gilrock

Full time elf
Hey Jon. I was just discussing this last couple of days. Its currently setup with the idea that if a timing track is active you can only drop effect in the cells formed by timing marks. If you unselect all timing track with unchecking the little circle then I allow a free form drop anywhere on the grid and I default it to 1 second wide and then it can be dragged around or made longer. The problem this creates is we create a new sequence with a blank timing track so you can't drag effects down without unselecting it or creating timing marks. I've been considering changing the behavior to allow the same free type drop if you are outside the bounds of a timing mark but I need to test it out to see if there are any gotchas I haven't thought about.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Thanks guys, managed to get it working (sort of) I now know why I use Vixen, spending an hour with Xlights was extremely painful.

Gilrock

Full time elf
Do you think its any easier when I try to use Vixen3? I'm trying to run Matt Johnson's files and there is only a 25% chance it doesn't crash so I have to keep trying multiple times to get it to open. Everything looks complicated to me. But I'm not going to insult the program because I think all programs are like that when you first open them and know nothing about how to use it. In Vixen I feel like I'm always having to pop open different applications to do different tasks. I can guarantee that I could create and sequence a Layout from scratch in xLights quicker than the best Vixen user can do it in their program. But hey I thought we were friends now and you had to go and insult us.

Phrog30

New elf
gnarmstr said:
Thanks guys, managed to get it working (sort of) I now know why I use Vixen, spending an hour with Xlights was extremely painful.
Extremely painful? I thought you were a developer? Anyway though, I'm sorry, but xlights is not at all hard to use. There are some things that I would agree aren't that intuitive, but figuring those out are a manual away or a post on a forum.

James

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Thanks for the tip keith and gil, i didn't know you could add an effect by unselecting timing track.

PS. xlights (v .40) has crashed a couple of times when I've made the mistake of trying to add an effect without timing marks.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Gilrock

Full time elf
OzAz said:
Thanks for the tip keith and gil, i didn't know you could add an effect by unselecting timing track.

PS. xlights (v .40) has crashed a couple of times when I've made the mistake of trying to add an effect without timing marks.

The program doesn't crash on me but developers tend to know what not to do and don't always think of the things others might do. Unless you can show a repeatable scenario it's hard to fix it.

Gilrock

Full time elf
By the way this question won't be asked after next release. I just fixed the code to allow a freeform 1 second drop if you are in-between timing marks or have no marks.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Gil, yeah it's hard to make programs idiot proof.

I'll see if I can repeat the crash and if I do I'll post bug report on xlights forum

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Gilrock said:
Do you think its any easier when I try to use Vixen3? I'm trying to run Matt Johnson's files and there is only a 25% chance it doesn't crash so I have to keep trying multiple times to get it to open. Everything looks complicated to me. But I'm not going to insult the program because I think all programs are like that when you first open them and know nothing about how to use it. In Vixen I feel like I'm always having to pop open different applications to do different tasks. I can guarantee that I could create and sequence a Layout from scratch in xLights quicker than the best Vixen user can do it in their program. But hey I thought we were friends now and you had to go and insult us.

I was just talking about today spending the last hour. I have always been open to other software and have used LOR and I do try Xlights every year. Sorry for insulting you, it's just my observation. It's not like I harped on like you.

Gilrock

Full time elf
Yep I can "harp on" with the best of 'em....lol. Maybe someday you guys can let me code one of my effects into Vixen then I can feel some pride in both programs.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Gilrock said:
Yep I can "harp on" with the best of 'em....lol. Maybe someday you guys can let me code one of my effects into Vixen then I can feel some pride in both programs.

We would love for you to code some effects in Vixen, will save me stealing them. Lol