Why can't j1sys provide a simple manual for their products? (ECG-D4)

lowepg

New elf
I don't think its unreasonable to expect even the most minimal documentation for a product?
Im not asking for a 20-age color document 9though many companies seem to be able to do that), but simple stuff like:
1. What do the dip switches do?
2. indicator light codes?
3. setup steps?
4. flashing instructions?
etc...

I finally got an answer from j1sys that
"they never got around to doing a manual for the d4, but its close to a dr4... so google that for some ideas"

That'd be super if there was actually a manual for the DR4! If there is- I can't find it.
Oye.

So now Im on a scavenger hunt around the web looking at 1-4 year old videos and posts (one of which are from j1sys!) trying to extrapolate what (if any) is relevant to this product they just sold me!

It looks like some of that is HERE (on aucchristmaslighting) and Im thankful for that! However, color me perturbed at the seeming indifference for support from this "company." I will NEVER buy another product from them, not advise anyone to do so.... quite the opposite.

Sorry for the rant.... Chalk it up to a few late nights troubleshooting my nearly 100% conversion from incan lights to pixels this year.... AND a late minute need to put a previously never used renard controller into service for the first time (hence the urgent need to get this bridge working)! :eek:

Wolfie

Full time elf
I feel your pain.

Been going through that myself. The lack of company authored documentation is astounding. Even something as simple as dip or jumper settings and pinouts for all I/O connections would be a start.

I like my P12's so far. But its not been a fun road with all the smaller items like the D2s and the PPD/PPI series boards.

lowepg

New elf
Yes, I guess Ive just been spoiled by other companies doing this RIGHT or going above and beyond.

The other areas Ive had to take a crash course this year has been with FPP and the sap pi in general. The support there has just been astounding....

Again, didn't mean to rant here, i am totally thankful for the support from this board- Id be dead in the water otherwise!

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
I have 2 ECG-D4's in my setup for LOR CCR's and dumb LOR RGB controllers. The setup might be similar.

I am in chat most the time. Or send me a PM. I will try to help you out if I can.

-Blu