Why would you - Because you got CLAP

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
I know it's not Coro but plastic cups don't fit in many posts options.

Rainy day, 110 plastic drinking cups (unused preferably), hot glue gun, 24 pegs, 110 pixel bullets.

ACL Semi Disco Ball.

https://vimeo.com/107976008
https://vimeo.com/107976010

Attachments

• IMG_1906.JPG
    IMG_1906.JPG
    468.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1911.JPG
    IMG_1911.JPG
    476.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1912.JPG
    IMG_1912.JPG
    453.7 KB · Views: 48

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Some people have too much time on their hands and are too creative. I13 showed of a similarish design at this year Adelaide mini but he just used normal 5mm leds that were part of a multifunction controlled set of fairy lights I think. From memory he'd used clear cups rather than the white ones.
Way too creative.

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
AAH said:
Some people have too much time on their hands and are too creative. I13 showed of a similarish design at this year Adelaide mini but he just used normal 5mm leds that were part of a multifunction controlled set of fairy lights I think. From memory he'd used clear cups rather than the white ones.
Way too creative.

Couldn't find clear but I like the opaque ... give a nice warm look.

scamper

Dedicated elf
OK, I understand doing a dumb cup display! But pixels?
Geez, I am still fluffing around with simple presents!

Attachments

• IMG_5005.JPG
    IMG_5005.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 46

davrus

Silent elf
Plastic cups - that is inventive. Must have taken you hours !!

Is this object for indoor use ?

If outdoor, what is the max distance before it doesn't work ?

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
scamper said:

scamper .... I love the presents. My next project. Can you tell me the size and what do you have as the light?

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Bird said:
That is way cool
Would make a nice light in the dining room :D
Ha Ha Bird great minds think alike. Actually I was walking around with it on my head. I need a FPP or something small and stand alone and a battery pack mmmmmm got me thinking

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
davrus said:
Plastic cups - that is inventive. Must have taken you hours !!

Is this object for indoor use ?

If outdoor, what is the max distance before it doesn't work ?

It did rain all day ;) . Didn't take too long. Getting sorted on a starting circle took some time but once you get going it's pretty fast. Now I have found that I can mount the pixel bullets easily by melting a hole, rather than drilling, then that part is a breeze.
It will be out doors. I had no plans for it in my display, just made it because I could and the concept was banging around in my head.

With power injection and 24V to 5V Buck converter it should be able to be placed anywhere.

Attachments

• Gears.gif
    Gears.gif
    13.3 KB · Views: 17

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
We have three of these full sparkle balls using multi function LEDs. Search you tube for instruction videos. We have used clear, red and purple cups.. Each has a different look but everyone loves them. A couple things we found useful was to use silicon to reinforce the joins between the cups as the hot glue tends to give way.. A soldering iron makes a neat hole in the bottom for the lights to go through..

nzlongfellow

Dennis from NZ
Jamie (Christmas On Bisley) said:
We have three of these full sparkle balls using multi function LEDs. Search you tube for instruction videos. We have used clear, red and purple cups.. Each has a different look but everyone loves them. A couple things we found useful was to use silicon to reinforce the joins between the cups as the hot glue tends to give way.. A soldering iron makes a neat hole in the bottom for the lights to go through..
I have seen them on YouTube but I can't find the cups they used. Good idea with the silicon. The glue appears to hold but I can see would fail over time.
The clear would make them sparkle but I like the white and how it reflects the colour.
I will make a second half then I want to fit to a post so need to look at mounting ideas.

scamper

Dedicated elf
nzlongfellow said:
scamper said:

scamper .... I love the presents. My next project. Can you tell me the size and what do you have as the light?

I used RGB LED Modules as they were cheap, I bought 100 of them and (lots of other stuff) then found ways to use what I had instead of the other way around. In the small presents I put in 3, 4 in the middle sized and 5 in the larger.
The large ones aren't that bright in the light, but when it is darker they really do look cool.

Attachments

• IMG_4258.JPG
    IMG_4258.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4260.JPG
    IMG_4260.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 26

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
nzlongfellow said:
Jamie (Christmas On Bisley) said:
I have seen them on YouTube but I can't find the cups they used. Good idea with the silicon. The glue appears to hold but I can see would fail over time.
The clear would make them sparkle but I like the white and how it reflects the colour.
I will make a second half then I want to fit to a post so need to look at mounting ideas.

Just mindful not to have it exposed to the weather....otherwise you will have to melt or drill a little hole in the bottom most part of each cup so they don't catch water.. We got all of our cups from the reject shop..