Will lights go the way of fireworks displays?

multicast

Senior elf
And be banned for individuals but become ok for large professionally run displays.

Seems this year, so many people are having trouble.

Habbosrus

Back again
What kind of trouble are you referring to? I've enjoyed a great year, a fantastic turnout and well behaved visitors. I'm sure the repetitive songs being played each night have turned off one or two neighbours, but everyone is enjoying it.

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Christmas light displays have come and gone for many years around my area with a variety of stories surrounding the diappearance of some.

Shell has had it tough but to her credit she has not been bullied out by the grinches down the street that will eventully realise the street hates them and they will move.

We too have grinches, but now people are starting to buy into our street because of the lights and it is now referred to as "Christmas Light Street" (big plans for hijacking the street sign next year)

The key difference is fireworks are explosive and did have a habit of blowing fingers off kids and in the work we now live and the crazies running around that last thing anyone wants is over the counter explosives.

Not sure if they have worked out how to do any damage with christmas lights....Yet

multicast

Senior elf
Beacy said:
Christmas light displays have come and gone for many years around my area with a variety of stories surrounding the diappearance of some.

Shell has had it tough but to her credit she has not been bullied out by the grinches down the street that will eventully realise the street hates them and they will move.

We too have grinches, but now people are starting to buy into our street because of the lights and it is now referred to as "Christmas Light Street" (big plans for hijacking the street sign next year)

The key difference is fireworks are explosive and did have a habit of blowing fingers off kids and in the work we now live and the crazies running around that last thing anyone wants is over the counter explosives.

Not sure if they have worked out how to do any damage with christmas lights....Yet

If your lights don't explode, then you must be buying ones that are way to expensive.

mborg10

Michael Borg
If you referring to having a license to have fireworks vs license for Christmas lights just remember you still need a license for AC240v but not dc12v similar way you need a license for fireworks and not sparklers.

I don't see them banning them but the lights may need to carry a certification in the future or QA stamp

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
It will never be Banned.

Go ahead and try to pass an ordinance in the states here and you will come up against the 1st ammendment.

Fireworks was different as they posed a danger. However, even with the Ban, the illegals still go on and they are the ones that actually posed the danger in the first place... so in reality... only the law abiding citizens who posed no danger are the ones stripped of their enjoyment. Some Cities still allow them.

-Blu

BilboBoggles

New elf
But from a traffic and pedestrian safety perspective, i think it will just take a few nasty accidents for insurance and legal issue to spoil the fun. I can see the authorities demanding insurance coverage and safety management plans that would kill off most displays.

gerry

Senior elf
Why worry about the future ?

Enjoy the moment now and the fun ??? of setting up the lights and the enjoyment that people who come to watch it get.

Am already working on next years , so as long as it is still allowed then .. good !

mangoat

Full time elf
Parking, road safety, etc ..................... yes, i agree, this needs to be addressed at some locations, but in all honesty, the drivers of the cars just need to be more courteous and walk a little further rather than try and park RIGHT at the address to get out and have a walk around the lights.

maybe the local papers, etc need to put in a "please be kind to the owners/other drivers" in the papers about the need for safety around all the lights.

might be easier said than done in some places i guess.

cheers
goat

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Is it any different to someone creating a massive display like the one in our area that is not to music, they still have kaos and lots of traffic.
What people need to think about is their location and what would best suit their area. For me i need to have a short re-occuring sequence to keep traffic moving, if i created a 15 minute show then it would be gridlock