Wiring power supplies

Habbosrus

Back again
I was just reading a thread on DIYC regarding wiring of power supplies here. Post #4 shows a picture where it appears a wire has been connected between AC Earth and V-. I don't connect mine this way and I'm sure I've read on here that this method is incorrect or at least, not entirely correct. I thought ac and dc should be kept completely separate. I understand things may be different between US and AUS. However, power is an extremely dangerous area many of us novices/hobbyists tinker with, especially over the coming months. I am hoping our more knowledgeable members can provide some advice. Many new members look at at recent posts so I thought it a good idea to post a new topic.
I'm happy to be wrong in my thinking, but I'd be happier to know posting this has helped keep others safe :D

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
AC and DC MUST be keep isolated.

DO NOT connect AC earth to DC negative.

I could head off on multiple reasons its bad and also reason it really may not matter but ultimately the advice is DON'T do it.

multicast

Senior elf
I echo Phils comments.

While there are a few times when you can and need to join GND and Earth, they are rare and outside of the scope of blinky. And when you do it, you need to know what you are doing, and provide other protection mechanisms.

The main reason for not doing it, is pretty simple. Its Unsafe, and it might kill you. Do you need another reason.
[SIZE=78%] [/SIZE]