Wiring questions.

gpennin2

New elf
Quick wiring question. I have a F16V3 controller. I'm not going to power any lights from the controller. Do I just run data and ground from the controller and then inject power and ground from the individual controllers to the lights? Also by doing it this way. Will that also provide a common ground between the controller power supply and the individual power supplies or do I have to run a seperate wire to tie them all together?

Oh and one last question on this setup. Should I run a fuse on each individual power injection line or can I run one fuse to a busbar and run the individual power drops without a fuse?

Thanks for your help
Greg

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
You would connect V- and Data from each output of the controller and power inject as needed with V+ and V-. I don't have a common V- between power supplies except through the connections on the pixels. Its recommended that every power injection line is fused. Fuses main purpose is to protect the wire. Any 18AWG wire should have 7.5A or smaller fuse. Some people opt not to fuse at all and have no issues. Better to be safe in this hobby... Electrical fires and burnt wires aren't fun

gpennin2

New elf
You would connect V- and Data from each output of the controller and power inject as needed with V+ and V-. I don't have a common V- between power supplies except through the connections on the pixels. Its recommended that every power injection line is fused. Fuses main purpose is to protect the wire. Any 18AWG wire should have 7.5A or smaller fuse. Some people opt not to fuse at all and have no issues. Better to be safe in this hobby... Electrical fires and burnt wires aren't fun

Thanks that answered my questions perfectly.

TerryK

Retired Elf
You mention "controller power supply and the individual power supplies". Individuals that do not power pixels through the controller sometimes power the controller with a smaller separate power supply rather than the larger pixel supplies. If this is what you are doing then a common connection will need to be in place between the controller supply and ideally the pixel supply or supplies powering the pixels attached to the controller to give the Data line a V- reference.

It's up to you whether the V- connections are tied at the supplies or through the pixels as Dan indicated in his post. A judgement call relative to placement of the controller, supplies, strings, and string length I think.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.