Wrong leds sent need a little info

dualbios

New elf
hey guys i have just got my order http://www.aliexpress.com/item/lights-of-invoice-to-Mr-Joshua-Corley-11-4-2015/32522561785.html now i hooked them all up corrently and i noted that the wire got hot but wasnt a direct short so i disconnected and double checked everything.
Now i sat for a while and i thought nah they wouldnt have been 5v led's but i have a bench supply set it to 5v and still nothing but i thought i might aswell check another stand and hey they all light up and work no issue at all am i wrong in thinking they are 5v pixels should i try this strand at 12v again.

dale82

Senior elf
Are you sure that you have wired them up correctly with data, v+ and v- ? and you have checked the pixels to make sure you have the correct wiring on them?

dualbios

New elf
i have double checked the wiring should the pixels if they are 12v work on 5v at all?

dale82

Senior elf
I wouldn't think that they would work on 5V but I could be wrong, what controller are you using ? I would double check all wiring etc

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
12V nodes may way at 5V but you would expect that they would be a bit flaky as the 12V is simply dropped down to 5V to power the pixel chip via a resistor (2.7k ohm suggested in data sheet http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki_source/images/b/ba/WS2811.pdf ). Running 5V pixel nodes off 12V will almost always blow the pixels up as there is either no series resistance between the "5V" input and the pixel chip or only 100 ohms if the pixels are designed as per data sheet.
Should your benchtop supply be adjustable and have a current reading then 2811 pixels are typically about 55mA on full white. If they measure 55mA at 5V and go dramatically above that if you wind the volts up a bit then I'd say you have 5V pixels and are remarkably lucky that they survived 12V. If they measure below 55mA at 5V and go to 55mA at 12V then you have fluked some that will work down to 5V with the series resistance installed.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
they look like the tecnicolor ones I have from ray. they are 12v 2811 protocol.

dualbios

New elf
just tested a fresh row on 5v wiring is perfect and they ran for 5 min no issue connected to 12v and bam random flash of lights and then nothing

dualbios

New elf
does this look right to people cause i just did a test with a multi meter and the middle pin is connected to the green and yellow wire im about to loose my mind

Attachments

• HTB1IAsjKFXXXXc2XpXXq6xXFXXXQ.jpg
    HTB1IAsjKFXXXXc2XpXXq6xXFXXXQ.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 20