WS2801 to Australia

Honga

New elf
Hi all, this looks like a great forum to support this bit of fun.

I'm looking to buy 200 WS2801 chain LED lights from Ray's store, and other places on Aliexpress. But every time I get to check out I am notified that "These products are unavailable in your country".

Has anyone had any similar experiences, or able to offer advice?

I'm trying links from the spread sheet in the sticky.

Thanks in advance.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Hi and welcome to the forum
A fair portion of us contact Ray through email or via the Aliexpress trade manager. Going direct through the Aliexpress website means that the default freight settings will apply and be paid for. Ray will generally give a substantial saving if you go through email/manager. If you are going to buy 200 strings of 50 pixels then you are going to have a number of issues that I hope you're aware of. Importing $6k worth of lights into anywhere will have customs having a nice big bite of them, 30,000 channels is a lot to sequence and you're going to need more than 500 amps from power supplies.

Honga

New elf
My mistake. I should have mentioned 200 individual LED's in total.

Thank you very much for your assistance AAH.

mborg10

Michael Borg
smartalec said:
the customs limit is $1000 per order before they tax you on it
The limit is $1000 but I have bought things in up to close to $2000 and they haven't bothered me for tax.

I send ray an excel spreadsheet with links to each product and quantities required. He then sends me back an email with price an shipping and I can pay thru paypal.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
smartalec said:
the customs limit is $1000 per order before they tax you on it
The limit is $1000 but I have bought things in up to close to $2000 and they haven't bothered me for tax.

I send ray an excel spreadsheet with links to each product and quantities required. He then sends me back an email with price an shipping and I can pay thru paypal.

This would be because Ray undervalues the product for customs. Its risky but can same some money. I prefer the method of buying under the 1K mark and then when the first order is shipped I get him to send the second shipment so they are a week apart.

kane

Dedicated elf
Fasteddy said:
This would be because Ray undervalues the product for customs. Its risky but can same some money. I prefer the method of buying under the 1K mark and then when the first order is shipped I get him to send the second shipment so they are a week apart.

The key thing with this is that technically, you would need to ensure that they are two separate orders.. If it is one order, split across two deliveries, then you could be hit with charges (in theory)

more info at http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/notices/ACN0659.pdf

Honga

New elf
Good amount of information there for me. Thank you gents, I'll keep you updated with my project as it moves along.