WS2811 pixel nodes playing up on test pattern

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I am running 168 ws2811 nodes of an output of an ECG-P12X and when I put the test pattern on all lights go through the pattern ok but when the white node (representing output 1) cycles through some of the pixels it makes some of the others go all weird colours. Not the red, green or blue they are meant to cycle through. Initially I thought the pixel that is white when the problem occurs must have an issue. Then I noticed that sometimes the nodes that go weird colours are before the white node. I wasn't sure how a pixel could effect the colour of nodes upstream. Do I have some dud pixels or is there other possible causes.

When I let the test pattern cycle through the same issues seem to keep occuring when the same nodes are on white.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Fade up to 100% white with da_e131 and I reckon you'll find that you're lacking volts and things will be turning pink before some potentially latch on. If things work up to a point and then you get a predictable flickering from a given pixel on then I'd look at a potentially dodgy gnd connection with gnd power being supplied past that point by power injection.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks AAH. I just tried the set of pixels on output 2 and all good. So I thought I'd plug output two into the first set I tested. It all worked fine this time with 2 white moving. I will do what you say Alan with da_e131 and see how I go. I was going to ask if the ECG controller had an all white option as I wanted to check on full load. Hadn't thought of da_e131. Good tip.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
More anomalies. I just tried ouput 1 on the lights again. It worked fine. I did change one thing though. Originally to help with power I had an tee piece in the input line and another tee piece between pixels 84 and 85 and I had the power wires connected between the two. When I run it this time I took this power injection connection out. And it worked. I didn't have it in when I tried ouput two either. I got all this second hand and there is a join in the wires I was using in the power injection line. The join looks a bit dubious and I was going to cut it out and replace it anyway before use. I only used now to see if things would work. If the power injection connection was dodgy could it cause the issues I had or should the earth connection of worked through the pixels anyway. Maybe the power injection wires weren't connected to +ve and -ve. If there was some sort of crossover in the connection could that of caused the problem.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Found some issues with the tee piece power injection connectors (ray wu type). Chucked them. Will test with Da_131 now.

Reactions: AAH

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Tested with Da_131. As Alan indicated there was voltage drop about 3/4 the way through. Fixed this with power injection. Got bright full white. During this process discovered dodgy wire in connection to first pixel. All my problem seem to occur when I use the power injection tee pieces and disappear when I don't. MAybe I have a dodgy batch. Will be making my own connections tomorrow and see if all works better. Still need power injection, just have to make my own injection connections rather than use the bought ones.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Just replace the lead in cord and made my own power injection cable. All good. I must be unlucky with the ray wu made tee pieces. I ordered 5 myself and 1 was crap. Now I've got a heap with some second hand gear I bought and at least a few of them are useless. They've caused me a lot of heartache and time wasted.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I have to admit I may of been a little hasty blaming the power injection tee pieces. After a lot of trial and error it turned out that it was corrupt data in the controller on one output. I have had the dodgy one in the past but fingers crossed the ones I have now are okay. It will save me some time and effort if they are.

Swapnil vader

New elf
I am doing program for WS 2811.
But there are some problems like as my first pixel is not operating as program. It glows white continuously.
And another problem is I cannot get black colour. For black my pixel must be off but it is dim white.
What should I do please reply.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I am doing program for WS 2811.
But there are some problems like as my first pixel is not operating as program. It glows white continuously.
And another problem is I cannot get black colour. For black my pixel must be off but it is dim white.
What should I do please reply.
Both of those issues sounds like the voltage may be a little high. Some 12V node are known to turn on dimly at anything above about 11.9V