ws2811 strings Wiring of.

videoman3857

Full time elf
Hey all. New to pixels and starting to do homework for next year.
I noticed that the 2811 pixel strips have a direction of data flow marked on them with an arrow
I am wanting to use WS2811 Pixel STRINGS.
Does the same rule apply, or can I connect the data from either end ?
I understand the data must flow in a lateral direction - like a daisy chain.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
All pixels strings and strips are fed data from one end only. The other (output) end links to the input of the next one.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
The pixel nodes should have an arrow on the little PCB but may be hard to see through the casing. A drop of water or damp cloth on them makes the casing clearer to see through to confirm this.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Yes you can cut them to length. No, you can't connect to any end. You still have to connect them the right way around.

Kitman

Full time elf
Sometimes you won't see an arrow but you may see DI (Data In) and DO (Data Out) on the printed circuit board, this also tells you which wire is the input wire and which is the output wire.

Yes having a little arrow on the data wire would make life easy, however that would rely on the person connecting the cables to the nodes putting them the correct way around, even with the pre made waterproof connectors there is a human error element that creeps into the manufacturing process, it's best to look at the little circuit to tell you everything you need to know.

videoman3857

Full time elf
Sometimes you won't see an arrow but you may see DI (Data In) and DO (Data Out) on the printed circuit board, this also tells you which wire is the input wire and which is the output wire.

Yes having a little arrow on the data wire would make life easy, however that would rely on the person connecting the cables to the nodes putting them the correct way around, even with the pre made waterproof connectors there is a human error element that creeps into the manufacturing process, it's best to look at the little circuit to tell you everything you need to know.

Oh Yes, the human error factor.......