WS2811 / WS2812 dead pixels

tojo12

New elf
Hi everybody.[/size]I have a problem that I really can't figure out. I have three ECG-P12R and all of these are divided into one 5V and one 12V section. To these controller I hooked up different pixels and pixel strips of ws2811/ws2812 models . Now and then it happens that a pixel goes out and in that case it's just to replace that one. But a while ago all pixels on two outputs (one 5V and one 12V output, on the same controller) all died, all other pixels are working fine. I've now taken these down and tested them one by one and everyone is dead.What could have caused this? I'm afraid that if I replace them it could happen again, so first I would like find the problem. Could it be the controller? Could it be the power supply (maybe not so likely though it is two supplies)?Anyone that have any experience of this? Any help appreciated!//Tommy

indyeast83

New elf
Could just have been a defect in the lights. Possibly the wires are crossed somewhere and they got shorted out. Last year I had really bad luck with lights and several of my strips were wired incorrectly randomly throughout the strand of pixels. You say you tested each pixel how did you do that? I've had strips appear entirely dead and it was just the first pixel.

tojo12

New elf
On both outputs it was led strips with printed circuits so the wiring shouldn't be a problem. There are arrows showing direction on pixels and text showing were to connect V+, ground and data so that should not be a problem either.

The two outputs are like:
-Output A: WS2811 12V flexible led strip (from Ray Wu), 4 sections with a total of 360 led.
-Output B: WS2812 5V rigid strip (from Ray Wu), 8 sections with a total of 128 led.
First I tested every section, and no one works, then with power on the strips I moved the data signal to the next led on the strip and so on. It didn't matter where I put data signal, no led worked. I did the testing with both the ECG-P12R and a mini controller, and both controllers where tested to new pixels to make sure they were functional.

damo1271

Full time elf
I would try cutting the data line after the first pixel and then testing. I have had problems before where injecting data mid way through a string didn't work, but as soon as I cut the data wire from the immediate pixel before the pixels started working.

indyeast83

New elf
tojo12 said:
On both outputs it was led strips with printed circuits so the wiring shouldn't be a problem. There are arrows showing direction on pixels and text showing were to connect V+, ground and data so that should not be a problem either.

The two outputs are like:
-Output A: WS2811 12V flexible led strip (from Ray Wu), 4 sections with a total of 360 led.
-Output B: WS2812 5V rigid strip (from Ray Wu), 8 sections with a total of 128 led.
First I tested every section, and no one works, then with power on the strips I moved the data signal to the next led on the strip and so on. It didn't matter where I put data signal, no led worked. I did the testing with both the ECG-P12R and a mini controller, and both controllers where tested to new pixels to make sure they were functional.
Oh OK yeah if its the ribbon than that wouldn't be the issue. Did these lights ever work?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Have you been connecting and disconnecting these whilst the power is on and lights running, this is a known cause of damaging the first pixel and also weakening the first pixel, so try cutting out the firsst pixel

But you say all the lights are dead which tells me that you may have water ingress issues that has maybe caused the +V to track onto the data line, this can be especially harmful when using 12vdc lights but this scenario would only have value if you find other pixels failed within the strip and just not the first one.

tojo12

New elf
Thanks everybody for help trying to figure out what went wrong. I haven't really solved these issues yet due to lack of time. As of now I just replaced them with new leds and now everything is working fine.