XL4 Status Jan 17

smeighan

Dedicated elf
I thought i would make a video to give the current status.

https://vimeo.com/117046622

We are getting ahead of the schedule thanks to Dan Kulp and Gil jones really stepping in and helping dave

A stretch goal has been attained, we now support 100,50 and 25ms frame timing
Drag and drop has been coded
Multiple renders, multithreaded engine is mostly laid out by dan kulp. You will be surprised at the perfoemance improvement when doing a save
xseq is no longer used, we now use a common fseq between XL4 and FPP.

Left to do
1) Render everything, this is what happens when you press SAVE, every effect gets called and renders the effect into binary data
2) Saves need to update XL4
3) Previews need to be connected
4) Music needs to be connected
5) Export to LOR,LSP,Vixen needs to be connected

other small items

excellent progress. Since we took December off for our shows, we have now in week 7 of development for XL4. It is pretty amazing to see how far we have come

You are going to like it!

dave pitts
dan kulp
gil jones
don julien
frankr
sean

bluzervic

65,768 Channels, 185 Universes
Very nice, can not wait to try it out.

I do have a question regarding conversions .
You mentioned the .XSEQ file would go away and be replaced with just the .FSEQ file.

In 3.x I would convert my .LMS files to .XSEQ files and then run them on the visualizer and I could see my sequence running on all my Models. Is this still going to work ?

Also you mentioned 3 timing selections of 25,50 and 100 ms any chance we can have the 10ms added as well.
I have a lot of sequences were I do timing down to 10ms.

-blu

smeighan

Dedicated elf
Architecture will support 10ms, we won't offer it until later in summer. We strongly discourage it. saves will be five times longer, files sizes will be larger, trying to send out all channels in 23ms will be a challenge. Maybe if you have a smaller. Show (< 5000 channels it might work). We have higher priority tasks (save sequence, previews, exports, performance, zero lag) as first priorities.

Boof63

Senior elf
thanks for the update, question do have scroll bar for the right side of the work grid (assume you will have - but just checking), looks good
Thanks to the team
Boof63 :D

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Glediator popped up in convo in chat this evening and that got me wondering if glediator and/or audacity features will be implemented directly into xl4. It is great that xl3 can work with both of these proggies but if they were both implemented in some way it would be awesome.

Gilrock

Full time elf
What kind of Audacity features are you looking for?

I wrote the code to convert the v3 XML files to v4 formats and also created a new Sequence Settings dialog. One of the settings dialog features is you can manage the timings associated with the sequence. On initial conversion you will only have one timing grid populated with the timing information from the rows in the v3 XML. On the timings tab in the settings dialog you will have options to create New timings, Import timings, Delete a timing section, or Rename the timing section. The New button allows you to create a fixed timing grid like 25ms, 50ms, 100ms, etc. The Import button will allow you to select Audacity timing files you've created. It allows you to select multiple files at once so you could select 6 different Audacity timing files and it will automatically add 6 new timing sections using those marks. I'm preserving the label information as well but we aren't displaying it anywhere yet. I thought it might be a cool upgrade if we displayed the labels on the effects editor grid the same way Audacity does and then upgrade it so you could click in there and edit the labels. But that's just a wish list item right now for me.

As far as the GUI side of things I haven't had time to play with everything Dave has done cause I've been focused on my part. We are displaying the timing sections on the effects editor grid and you can select which timing grid is active and then we show those marks to let you use them for spacing effects. I believe you will be able to click in there and add new timing marks into a timing section as well.

Gil

smeighan

Dedicated elf
Dave just added an awesome feature for putting in timing marks. Click on waveform and press "t", timing marks are created. It is much faster than the method we had in audacity.

As far as glediator effects, yes we will create more effects. Same as duplicating effects we see in madrix. It is better if you only have to use one program. I always considered nutcracker creating effects for vixen or lor to not be ideal. Too many export,import time. I have a dozen new effects I would like to add before summer.

arw01

Full time elf
Sean on the LSP export to the userpatterns.xml file

Does it replace it because we need some code to merge the export into the existing file, or because LSP has something broken that won't let us just insert the new pattern into the file?

e.g. how come we cannot physically export 10 model effects right into the .xml and reopen lsp and be able to drag and drop them over?

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Awesome. And the best part is that it's Summer here so hopefully the new features will be here soon :)
With all the work you and Dave and the other guys are doing I'll have to add more names to my Xmas card list.
It really is a credit to the community that you guys have done so much for us for free.
You guys are awesome.

smeighan said:
Dave just added an awesome feature for putting in timing marks. Click on waveform and press "t", timing marks are created. It is much faster than the method we had in audacity.

As far as glediator effects, yes we will create more effects. Same as duplicating effects we see in madrix. It is better if you only have to use one program. I always considered nutcracker creating effects for vixen or lor to not be ideal. Too many export,import time. I have a dozen new effects I would like to add before summer.

smeighan

Dedicated elf
arw01 said:
Sean on the LSP export to the userpatterns.xml file

Does it replace it because we need some code to merge the export into the existing file, or because LSP has something broken that won't let us just insert the new pattern into the file?

e.g. how come we cannot physically export 10 model effects right into the .xml and reopen lsp and be able to drag and drop them over?

Alan, i never got a description of the lsp sequence file. Itried in 2012, 2013. I then went to producing the userpattern file.

We currently are doing no work on import or export, we first need to get xl4.0 out.

It would be really nice if LSP would be able to import in our fseq files. The data being imported is in a block.
we are going to do something liek this (we think by sumemr)

convert LOR lms into *.grid file. This is a binary file with the channel range that came in. So if you have channels 1000-1200, that is all that would be in this grid file.
(Also , of course, convert vixen *.vix, LSP *.seq, HLS *.hlsdata)

Now you can drop this chunk of binary data into our xlights sequence. We will have a grid editor so you can edit individual bytes.

So if LSP could take our *.fseq and drop it into their sequence , all of our data would be so much easier to use.

current priority is XL 4, we will see where we are by summer for new requests.