XLights and Falcon - Start channels/Ports - some blank lights

ryanatunlock

New elf
First show this year so still learning the ropes. Of course I have left it too late! Just started the (6.5m) megatree 2 weeks ago but making major progress and I feel like I am 95% of the way there.

Gotts say this is the most helpful community out there so thanks for everyones contribution!

Connected everything up last night with a test sequence and I had some portions of the show where I had no lights. Using Xlights with Falcon F16v3 with all latest firmware and software versions.

When I saw some lights not tuning on I then tried the 'test' button on the Falcon, and it just crashed/restarted.

• I then saw I only has 16 universes setup on my Falcon in XLights, and I increased this to 96.
  • I then watched some videos and found the option to "Make Start Channels Valid" and "Make Start Channels not overlapping" - I ran both and this updated a whole bunch of start channels.
  • I haven't uploaded this to the Falcon yet or tested (back in the office today away from my lights)

I have then run the Tools / check Sequence and I note a few issues:

==========================================================
Controller Checks
Applying controller rules for Falcon F16v3:10.0.0.2:
WARN: Gap in models on pixel port 1 channel 4389 to 4513.
WARN: Gap in models on pixel port 2 channel 4218 to 4390.
WARN: Gap in models on pixel port 4 channel 1194 to 3592.

==========================================================
Non contiguous channels on controller ports
WARN: Model 'Present - Medium' and Model 'Present - Small 2' are on controller IP '10.0.0.2' Output Connection 'ws2811:1' but there is a gap of 123 channels between them.
WARN: Model 'Present - Large' and Model 'Present - Small 1' are on controller IP '10.0.0.2' Output Connection 'ws2811:2' but there is a gap of 171 channels between them.
WARN: Model 'Teddy' and Model 'Carport Outline' are on controller IP '10.0.0.2' Output Connection 'ws2811:4' but there is a gap of 2397 channels between them.

Are these issues reason for concern?

Some screenshots of my setup:

1606088450385.png

1606088620348.png

darylc

404 darylc not found
> When I saw some lights not tuning on I then tried the 'test' button on the Falcon, and it just crashed/restarted.

Sounds like you ran out of power to power the falcon when the pixels lit up.

darylc

404 darylc not found
maybe share some details & photos of your physical setup?

ryanatunlock

New elf
Hi Daryl - it's exactly per the screenshot above - what other info do you need?

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
can you show another screen shot of your Layout, but with Start Chan sorted (it's easier to spot then if you have channel overlaps, or where the gasp are)
Also a screen shot of the Visualise

Gaps in channels isn't going to stop things working, unless the gap is so big you go past the number of channels set up

darylc

404 darylc not found
Hi Daryl - it's exactly per the screenshot above - what other info do you need?

You said your falcon is crashing and rebooting when put into test mode. I'm saying I think it's not crashing and it's running out of power and asking you to provide more detail around your hardware setup, not your software setup that you've screenshotted.

ryanatunlock

New elf
OK thanks. I will get the power supply stats etc and post back shortly, thank you!

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
You need at least 3x of those power supplies. 1600x pixels X 3x LEDs = 4800 LEDs X 0.015Amps/Led = 72Amps + extra power for the F16v3. The more experienced guys will correct me if that's not quite correct. Edit, I corrected myself.... I hope

darylc

404 darylc not found
that wire from the power supply to the controller looks tiny as well. between that and what Baz said, I think we've found why your controller resets.

ryanatunlock

New elf
The really thin wire powers the Raspberry PI - I am using 4mm 15 amp wire for the Falcon. Is this 4mm wire sufficient?

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Not at 15amps when you need somewhere near 36amps power per input on the F16. Try doubling up the wires to the input, you'll notice how big the input terminals are. They'll take easily 30amps each, 10AWG/5.3mm2 according to the specs