Xmas tree fairy lights - overheating transformer

sbv16

New elf
Gday

We have an xmas tree with pre wired lights and i noticed that after approx 20 minutes of being turned on all of the lights (all 3 sections) briefly turn off and then on again and continue doing this. The lights dont have blinking modes so they shouldnt do this. When I checked the transformer plugged into the gpo it was extremely hot to touch and so I have ceased turning them on.

See attached photo of the transformer.

A few queries:

I assume the transformer is stuffed and overheating is causing the lights to switch off?

Can I buy a replacement transformer online as long as I ensure I get a 31v 9watt?

its a two wire system, does this mean if I buy a blinking controller thats built into the transformer all modes wont work due to lack of a third wire? I have thought about buying a lytworks fairy light kit from bunnings and just using the transformer if its 31v 9w.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 5F659261-C5E1-4F84-814F-422DAC7094F9.jpeg
    5F659261-C5E1-4F84-814F-422DAC7094F9.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 26

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
It's hard to say if the fault is with the power supply or the tree. Maybe try plugging the power supply in without the tree connected and see if it still gets hot. Are you 100 percent certain that you are using the original correct power supply for that tree?

sbv16

New elf
It's hard to say if the fault is with the power supply or the tree. Maybe try plugging the power supply in without the tree connected and see if it still gets hot. Are you 100 percent certain that you are using the original correct power supply for that tree?
Its definately the original transformer.

I have plugged the transformer in and left it on without having the tree plugged into it and it remains cold to touch, doesnt even get warm.

Im now testing each section of the tree lights as they are split out into 3 sections which all individually connect to the main wire to the transformer just to see if one section causes the issue and not the others.

sbv16

New elf
That is just a standard 31v DC power supply rated at 9w max. You can use anything rated 31v DC 9w or greater to power those lights.
Thanks

if I buy a transformer with the blinking modes controller built in would it work with a two wire setup?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Thanks

if I buy a transformer with the blinking modes controller built in would it work with a two wire setup?
Most likely not. Flashing sets have their LED's wired differently. You will find the set doesn't light up half the time when the effects are running. If the set was static and didn't flash before, it will only be able to flash on/off fully by a 3rd party controller (@AAH sells them) and not like you see on strings with 8 function controllers.

sbv16

New elf
Most likely not. Flashing sets have their LED's wired differently. You will find the set doesn't light up half the time when the effects are running. If the set was static and didn't flash before, it will only be able to flash on/off fully by a 3rd party controller (@AAH sells them) and not like you see on strings with 8 function controllers.
Thanks for your help

i have attached an image of a transformer it says 31v rated but then 34v out. Will this be safe to use?
Most of the lytworks ones seem to be like this.

Attachments

• 584CDCEE-4372-45E1-9160-5641C3708A6C.jpeg
    584CDCEE-4372-45E1-9160-5641C3708A6C.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 25

sbv16

New elf
Should be fine, your lights won't act like normal though, they will blink on/off rather than red/yellow + green/blue
I gave it a go and it seems to have fixed the problem. The tree only has warm white lights and it seems the controller works also.

Thanks again for the help! Much appreciated

scamper

Dedicated elf
No it's DC as per the parallel line markings.
Those parallel lines are equal signs, the sin wave after the voltage indicates ac.
However, as led's are diodes it really shouldn't matter as they rectify the voltage themselves

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Those parallel lines are equal signs, the sin wave after the voltage indicates ac.
However, as led's are diodes it really shouldn't matter as they rectify the voltage themselves
I think everyone is getting confused here, the very first image posted was of a DC supply with no 8 function setup
The second image they posted of a supply that they found and thought could work has an AC output with the 8 function setup.

While this will sort of work, every time the polarity changes on the power supply to light up what it expects is strings of inverted leds, the led string (if the original was intended to be used on DC only, static with no functions) will go out 50% of the time during the flashing effects.