Y/T Splice for power injection - show us some examples if you DIY

janastas

Full time elf
Howdy all,

I've been using 3-2-3 power injection tees for the last two seasons and in most cases have a single power injection of any one port on my controllers, I've made a few poor attempts to Y/T splice an additional power injection of the existing 2 core cable and haven't been overly happy with the results and the time it takes me to do it.

Looking at adding mutiple power injection points on a single power injection cable and was hoping for some forum members to provide some DIY examples of Y splice or T splice off two core power cables you may be using and what you do to water proof and any screenshots you have.

Here's a few examples I've seen below of crimped vs soldered online.

1673304965729.png 1673305125202.png

1673305298837.png
1673305342275.png

Croydon Lights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
I use Liquid Electrical Insulation Tape this season and had no problems with it just wait until the first layer is completely dry before adding the next layer

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
My pixjoiners were made with making Tees easy as 1 of the things they were designed for.
Awful pics on site. (Note to self. Fix all the awful pictures on site)

Brendan Marks

New elf
When you mention splicing are you talking about joining the positive wires together from the start of the prop to the end of the prop to increase power spread? exposing wires and then soldering is never easy, but ill send some pics when my props arrive and ill have some without heat shrink or other protective coverings.

janastas

Full time elf
See the diagram below, pretty much extending the power injection cable after the 1st power injection to allow for a second power injection using the same two wires.

I'm just trying to find a non fiddly way to do this without having to buy power injection tees or spending too much time soldering and having to heat shrink.

Was hoping to see a few examples of what the forum members do in this situation.

I was thinking about sotchloks at power injection point one to extend the power but don't think that would be a good long term solution.

1673470625058.png

There are 2-2-2 power splitters you can buy from Ray Wu which look as follows which are also an option. (Ray Wu 2-2-2 power splitter)

1673471362141.png

Shane G

New elf
Generous elf
Depending on how many other ports you are powering off that power supply to your controller and how big it is you might be getting close to maxing out the power supply but as your pic above the 2.2.2 splitter would be the easiest way to go.

Me, I only power 50 pixels off a controller port as if you're using all 16 ports that's close to the max of the power supply on the controller the V+ is then cut and in your case, I would place another power supply near prop 3 and 4 and connect power at the end of prop 2 in the middle of 3/4 and at the end of 5 as most power supplies have like 3 terminals' I would just run 3 separate leads to each point. This is all for 100% brightness and I solder all my connections and pig tails on where needed.

Attachments

• Power Box.jpg
    Power Box.jpg
    813.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Power Injection.jpg
    Power Injection.jpg
    559.9 KB · Views: 33

Brendan Marks

New elf
See the diagram below, pretty much extending the power injection cable after the 1st power injection to allow for a second power injection using the same two wires.

I'm just trying to find a non fiddly way to do this without having to buy power injection tees or spending too much time soldering and having to heat shrink.

Was hoping to see a few examples of what the forum members do in this situation.

I was thinking about sotchloks at power injection point one to extend the power but don't think that would be a good long term solution.

View attachment 22212

There are 2-2-2 power splitters you can buy from Ray Wu which look as follows which are also an option. (Ray Wu 2-2-2 power splitter)

View attachment 22213

Remember to reduce the need for power injection you can splice before the first node and after the last node on each prop to increase power output and spread 1: evens spread across the prop and 2: increases power input to each additional prop before needing an injection line. It wont remove your issue of what to do when you need power injection, but it reduces how much of it needs to be done.

Adsy

Full time elf
Why not splice a 2 pin pigtail at the start or end of any given prop . Gives more flexibility.

Attachments

• 20230112_165946.jpg
    20230112_165946.jpg
    496 KB · Views: 36