Esp32 with ethernet for a stand alone prop.

everettdale

Apprentice elf
You are looking for a device like this:

The link you sent is for a "DC 4.5V-30V Voltage Comparator Module" not a usb adapter. The adapters I've bought are all pre programed with the wrong VID/PID (not sure what that really means) I've bought 4 of these from different sellers on amazon and they are all programed wrong. it seems like a manufacturing error.

here is a link to one of them. Don't buy this, it will not work!

I've ordered one directly form adafruit. Hopefully it will work correctly, and if not, at least I can contact them directly.

Martin Mueller

Light Addicted and proud of it.
Generous elf
The link you sent is for a "DC 4.5V-30V Voltage Comparator Module" not a usb adapter. The adapters I've bought are all pre programed with the wrong VID/PID (not sure what that really means) I've bought 4 of these from different sellers on amazon and they are all programed wrong. it seems like a manufacturing error.

here is a link to one of them. Don't buy this, it will not work!

I've ordered one directly form adafruit. Hopefully it will work correctly, and if not, at least I can contact them directly.

I was in multiple conversations and posted that link in the wrong conversation. :(

everettdale

Apprentice elf
if you wish to program a wt32-eth01, you first need to jump the programming pin. otherwise it wont find it
Yep. it's not that it's not finding the wt32-eth01, it's that the cp212x isn't being recognized as a USB to TTL bridge but as a "verifone to printer bridge" The chip on the module is programed wrong from the factory and the windows drivers won't recognize it. I've ordered a few of these and it seems to be a manufacturing error. I should be getting a USB to TTL module from adafruit in a day or two. hopefully it will be correctly identified. If not at least I will be able to contact them directly to resolve this issue.

Martin Mueller

Generous elf
Tis has happened before. Some manufacturers are using pirated designs that report incorrectly. I tend to only purchase adapters that have genuine FTDI usb-to-serial chips on them

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Yep. it's not that it's not finding the wt32-eth01, it's that the cp212x isn't being recognized as a USB to TTL bridge but as a "verifone to printer bridge" The chip on the module is programed wrong from the factory and the windows drivers won't recognize it. I've ordered a few of these and it seems to be a manufacturing error. I should be getting a USB to TTL module from adafruit in a day or two. hopefully it will be correctly identified. If not at least I will be able to contact them directly to resolve this issue.
i use the modules from here, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006018153062.html an use the cp2102 model,
I also use linux,
But since your using windows its more likely a driver you need for them https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers?tab=downloads

Grozzy

Oh great, the idiot's back
I am going to be half helpful only because I am having vague recollections of having this issue a few years ago. I used a program called Zadig to either change the PID or force the installation of the driver. I did get it to work but then changed computers and had new usb-ttl programmers that just worked.

everettdale

Apprentice elf
I am going to be half helpful only because I am having vague recollections of having this issue a few years ago. I used a program called Zadig to either change the PID or force the installation of the driver. I did get it to work but then changed computers and had new usb-ttl programmers that just worked.
Well, I tried that and it came close to working. well, closer at least. I was able to get WLED install to see the module but the module still wouldn't connect to the wt32. Thanks for the help though.

everettdale

Apprentice elf
i use the modules from here, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006018153062.html an use the cp2102 model,
I also use linux,
But since your using windows its more likely a driver you need for them https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers?tab=downloads
I have the correct drivers, but they won't install for the module I have because the VID/PID are incorrect. And in windows you can't force feed a driver onto a device. At least I haven't been able to yet.

How long ago did you but those modules from aliexpress? if it was more than a year ago I'm guessing that's why they work. As I research this problem I'm starting to see that all/most of the manufactures of these type of modules are getting bad chips and installing them on their devices without testing or the sellers are getting bad modules from the same manufacturer that is getting the bad chips. If you have a moment, could you plug one in and tell me what it's ID comes up as in windows device manager?

everettdale

Apprentice elf
Tis has happened before. Some manufacturers are using pirated designs that report incorrectly. I tend to only purchase adapters that have genuine FTDI usb-to-serial chips on them
This is what I'm finding as well as I dig into this. How do you check to see if the chips are genuine FTDI ? I suppose you need to look at the actual module after buying it?

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
I have the correct drivers, but they won't install for the module I have because the VID/PID are incorrect. And in windows you can't force feed a driver onto a device. At least I haven't been able to yet.

How long ago did you but those modules from aliexpress? if it was more than a year ago I'm guessing that's why they work. As I research this problem I'm starting to see that all/most of the manufactures of these type of modules are getting bad chips and installing them on their devices without testing or the sellers are getting bad modules from the same manufacturer that is getting the bad chips. If you have a moment, could you plug one in and tell me what it's ID comes up as in windows device manager?
Yep your right when i ordered them.. last order i did was for 10 of them on Apr 8, 2021, and they dont even sell that product now orginal supplyer
I mainly use them on my linux desktop. as i dont like winblows.
Like i said i dont use windows much, but i plugged it into the windows, then i updated the driver to the one i just downloaded. (via device manager)
and i think the info you want is USB/VID_10C4&PID_EA60&REV_0100
does that help any?

Last edited:

everettdale

Apprentice elf
Yep your right when i ordered them.. last order i did was for 10 of them on Apr 8, 2021, and they dont even sell that product now orginal supplyer
I mainly use them on my linux desktop. as i dont like winblows.
Like i said i dont use windows much, but i plugged it into the windows, then i updated the driver to the one i just downloaded. (via device manager)
and i think the info you want is USB/VID_10C4&PID_EA60&REV_0100
does that help any?
Yep, thanks. VID_10C4 and PID_EA60 are the correct VID/PID that these should come with. Mine have all had 11ca and 0204 which are wrong. And as far as I can tell you cant change these without pulling the chip off the board loading it onto an eprom burner and re configuring them. Although I sound like I know what I'm talking about that is WAY outside of my skill set. I do have a buddy that might be able to do this type of hardware hacking, but his suggestion was to buy the module from a vender that I could contact directly so if there is a problem with the board I get I can go straight to them. This is what i have done with Adafruit, I'm just waiting for my order to arrive. thanks for taking the time to help.

Martin Mueller

Generous elf
Adafruit makes sure they are selling reliable usb to serial devices. On Amazon, Hi-Letgo and DTECH would be the vendors I look at.