Interactive mailbox

ShellNZ

Senior elf
It has built in MP3

So the beam will pick up the movement and kick off the sound and lights hopefully :)

These 2 devices should be all that I need I think, other than little speaker and power.

algerdes

Al Gerdes
One thing I just thought of...
You might to want to make sure that any and all "donations" clear the beam. I've had envelopes stick in the slot, and if I had put a beam such as this in the box it would have gone off repeatedly.

(Of course, you can put a timeout on the triggered event.)

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Good thought, thanks for that!! As gareth mentioned in chat, I also may need to have a play with positioning of beam so theres no reflection setting it off as well :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This was the reason I suggested a proximity switch and a flap because a proximity switch will detect a metal tab when the flap is raised to put money in. But positioning of the steel tab and proximity sensor would have to be thought of so if a note or coin does get stuck in the flap it wont go off.
Reflection within the mailbox will have to be a consideration when using a light beam sensor

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
ShellNZ said:
There is no flap :)

You would have to make one :)

But you have the light sensor on order so give that a go just knowing that you may have to reduce any refections inside the letterbox and that positioning will be important to ensure nothing obstructs the beam.

It should work either way as both ways will require some trial and error.

Boof63

Senior elf
can't wait to see the finished product (demo mode) will be fine, to see how it comes together.
cheers Boof63

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Yay, just about finished it. Im going to tidy up the wiring and paint the enclosure black.

Pics of mailbox.

IMG_2456_zps2fc001f0.jpg

IMG_2457_zps2b7af16d.jpg

Video at night

http://s126.photobucket.com/user/Toby3_photo/media/Xmas%20lighting/Props/IMG_2455_zps7be41f7b.mp4.html