Modifying Big-W Icle Lights

kane

Dedicated elf
DannyP said:
So I WILL be able to use one of the WS2811 boards to control these?
Yes, but I assume you know how Alan's boards are designed to work?

The typical way of controlling dumb strip (and dumb strings), is via a DC controller. These generally take their signal via DMX, which would normally come from a USB-DMX dongle, or an E1.31->DMX gateway such as a D4 or DR4..

With so many people moving to pixels, it's inevitable that people will shy away from traditional DMX, so Alan has devised a way for people that may still want a DC controller, but for the signal to come via an SPI data stream (eg 2811 protocol) This means that if you've already got a controller that can talk 2811 (p12r, pixad8, e68x), you can also control some DC elements, without bothering to get a DMX gateway

Hope that makes sense - been a long day!

dannyp

Full time elf
I think they are placed in an e1.31 line of pixels and are seen as 30channels? So the setup would be
P12r controller connected to
RGB pixel strings connected to
WS2811 DC BOARD connected to
The light bars that I have ( 10 bars connected to the 30 channel model) with each light bar able to be set as a different colour - Connected to
RGB pixel string etc

Is my understanding correct

dannyp

Full time elf
Hi, can someone please confirm if my understanding is correct before I go and make a mistake?

Much appreciated

Habbosrus

Back again
DannyP said:
So I WILL be able to use one of the WS2811 boards to control these?
Yes, that's correct. They are dumb rgb and can be controlled with one of Alan's 2811DC15 or 2811DC30 boards. I am planning something very similar to you Danny.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Danny we all make mistakes, how do you think we make the latest gear.. (from lots of mistakes)
first time i cut icle lights i thought it was stuffed for good, but you learn to make it all work.
enjoy this project
alec

DannyP said:
Hi, can someone please confirm if my understanding is correct before I go and make a mistake?

Much appreciated