My build thread (or my crash and burn thread we'll see come Dec..)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
schoey said:
Thanks again for all the help guys, I have ordered a 'garage door decor' and have the order moving along with Ray Wu, definitely worth emailing him rather than buying straight off 'my cart' in Aliexpress, postage price has dropped by ~$100. I have updated my first post a bit.

Great to see you took the suggestion, it will fill that area in nicely, I myself am tempted this year to get one for my garage as well.

schoey

New elf
Fasteddy said:
Great to see you took the suggestion, it will fill that area in nicely, I myself am tempted this year to get one for my garage as well.

Thankyou for making the suggestion, a 'trained eye' and all that 8)

schoey

New elf
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
What decal? What like Santa working on his hot rod in the garage haha. Have you got a link

Their website is a bit dodgy I reckon, I can't direct link to the one I got, but it's the reindeer barn without Santa, check out my original post, I've been updating that as I go

schoey

New elf
I'd like to get a controller (or 2) ordered today, I've just had a nice kickstart to the decision making process in chat but thought I'd throw it in here for future reference so a noob might see how I got to the final choice.

My first plan of attack was to try to compare cost as I've got bugger all idea what else to consider :eek:

Cost/1k pixels controlled
ECG-P12R $175/2040 = $86/1k
Pixlite16 $229/5440 = $42/1k

This had me leaning towards the Pixlite based on cost alone, Dale82 raised a valid point about not being able to mix protocols with the PixLite which I had no idea about, it shouldn't affect me at this stage as all my current light are '2811' but well worth taking into consideration for others making the same decision.

So anything to add, other controller options?

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Schoey, maybe one way around the mixing of protocols is to get some pixlite 4's. You will need more controllers but they are cheaper to buy. Haven't worked out the $/pixel though. It would also give you more versatility as you can put the controllers around the display not in one central point (less cabling). This may not be as big an issue for you as your front yard is not the biggest to ever have a display. It also gives you the option in the future to run different protocol strip on each of the pixlite 4 controller you may have.

Worth looking at anyway.

At the end of the day, from what I've seen both brands are good products and both offer good backup, so you won't go wrong with either in my opinion.

gerry

Senior elf
Agree with BundyRoy.
The pixlite 4s have only just come out. You also need a controller to drive the DMX .
Alan (AAH) (DC15) and David have boards for these or the DMX controllerers (range from 3 channel to 27 channel) from Ray Wu.
So the DMX output 'port' of the main controller would be connected to the DMX board

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
That's a good point about using more boards each with less outputs. It suits some layouts better as you can have the controllers closer to where they're needed.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
you can always use a p2 with 2 outputs and up to 4 universes per output or a p12s that way you can run 12 universes of pixels and 2 dmx universe.

schoey

New elf
I ended up going for the Pixlite, at this stage the protocol issue won't hurt me and it seemed good value. I've also settled on Vixen3 for now, I may look at LSP again once this season is over. Thanks again for the direction given thus far.

Ray's order should be here tomorrow or Friday, still have a couple of days off to start cutting and pasting :eek: