My First Attempt at Anything.... Mediocre Tree :/

mborg10

Michael Borg
Try and mount the controller to the pole with no wires hanging down. This way you can set it up early and you can still mow the lawn.

Id hate to see what your advanced project is.....

mangoat

Full time elf
advanced?

this is my one and only project this year ...... unless i win lotto. gotta save cash to go to USA in november.

aussiedoug, if you wanna design the wire frame for the goat, go ahead and make it and ship it down :) lol
everyone driving past wont understand unless they know me. hahahhaa.

yes, i am going to do a star on top, or an angel, just need to work on a design and figure out just how tall i need to make it. if i do an angel, ill have to lay it out in strip led or something like that, would need some good advice on that one......

mangoat

Full time elf
present are a maybe......

star height/design is my next challenge

any recommendations for heights of it ?

in that pic, the tree is 1m or so off the ground, and tree is about 2.4m from ring to ring, so 3.4m or there abouts from ground level to the top

logandc99

Dedicated elf
If you want a shape printed out that's bigger than a4 there is a site I used ( ShellNZ has used also and may remember the site) where you find the star shape (or any shape) you want from google images, save it and put it into this website saying how big you want the star and it will print out the star on several pieces of A4 which you then cut out and cellotape together to get your full sized shape. Can use it for anything really. That's what I did for my star ontop of my 6m tree. At work at the moment so can't access the computer so will try and find the site once home. But someone else maybe able to remember it in the meantime.

mangoat

Full time elf
still doesnt help me to the recommended height of the star ...... :p

but good drawing guide in the video

firebug

Senior elf
Seeing as your tree has a flat top, project lines up as if it came to a point. Where the lines meet could be the height of your star...

penguineer

Full time elf
AussieDoug said:
Looking great, height wise I would proably make it a little lower & put a star, angel or even a goat on top of it. :D

Why decide - put all three and light them up at different times in the show ;)

Looks pretty good - will look completely different at night when you can only see the lights and none of the supporting structure.

Nice work!

Cheers!

Boof63

Senior elf
Made two seizure stars last year and both worked well. smaller one on tree was approx. 1 m across with 3 x star layers and lights out to tips, My tree is only 2D , 2.5 m tall by 1.2 base. Hope this helps a little.

cheers Bof63

mangoat

Full time elf
bugger, that gives me a bit to think about, i was thinking today after doing some more cable ties on the pixels, that a 12" star mightve been enough.....
ill have to make some test sizes i think

cheers to all, progress pics to follow....

mangoat

Full time elf
1025 lights attached to the wires on the tree.......

just to do the wiring now.

star design next......