Outdoor cable markers

JulianLights

Apprentice elf
Hi all. Wondering what everyone uses to label their cables outside for controllers and extensions leads etc? I had used one of those label makers then covered the labels with clear heat shrink but after the first season they had faded terribly and then after the second they had faded completely. I’m looking at something like the below but wanted to see what other options people might have used for outdoor labels.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I use a label maker and chase heatshrink for mine. Whilst it's the first season of blinky, I've done it with success before in other areas.
The trick is to not use the paper based thermal label tape. They are rubbish, like modern day woolworths dockets.
I have a brother labeller that uses the TZe plastic tape and this is much more durable and haven't had anything fade yet.

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
I use a label maker and chase heatshrink for mine. Whilst it's the first season of blinky, I've done it with success before in other areas.
The trick is to not use the paper based thermal label tape. They are rubbish, like modern day woolworths dockets.
I have a brother labeller that uses the TZe plastic tape and this is much more durable and haven't had anything fade yet.
+1 here for TZe laminated label tape - I buy tip off ones on ebay for 5 packs for $15

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
I used a white paint marker this year for marking some of my cables when I pre-installed them before the controller was ready.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I had been looking at Wired Watts Pig tail sleeves but thought Ali was worth a look and found these. I haven't bought or tried them so can't comment on quality.

This looks interesting. And will fit my brother labeller. I'm gonna grab some and give it a spin

fugley

Apprentice elf
I had been looking at Wired Watts Pig tail sleeves but thought Ali was worth a look and found these. I haven't bought or tried them so can't comment on quality.

View attachment 22083
never knew the likes of this was around for a label printer … cheers as I've been using this brother p touch here but will now be changing to the heat shrink tube … they are on TradeMe if interested

JulianLights

Apprentice elf
Thanks everyone for the ideas, I like the idea of the tze tape as I already have a printer I think it will fit.

Brendan Marks

New elf
I use plastic bread tie tags, free with my loaf of bread and easy to replace. Very weather resistant if you dont get the new cardboard ones.
They are also very good for cable management.