Pixel Strobe Controller

A

Andrew_Frazer

These strobes are very bright. The led is a very efficent White LED from Cree. We stick 50 of them on a cable at 300mm spacing and are running strobe patterns with flashes well under 1ms. The result is really very spectacular, and they have proved relaible as well, we have several hundred strings installed and they have survived really nicely.

Apologies, this was'nt a post hijack, but these might work well for you. NB, these are WHITE only, not RGB. While it can be done in RGB, usig White means that we can get a LOT LOT more light out of it. they retail for $US240 per string. In quanity the price comes down quite a lot.

960274_10151611984807661_429100544_n.jpg

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
To me strobes in white are the only logical choice, as RGB's white is not really white, and cant see why you would want red/blue/green strobe effects. I have only seen video of the Stella strobes, and they were VERY bright when compared with a standard RGB pixel string

A

Andrew_Frazer

Well, actually RGB(W?) Strobes are pretty cool, and as it happens i'm working on something that will be insanely bright now.. ( pushing 1500 lumens ), for a specific project.. Its very cool to do strobes in multicolour! What you have to watch out for is strange artifacts though when you are using colour.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Yeah I tend to agree with lithgow, I did mention it a little in chat, but haven't seen any 6803/2801/2811/etc strings that are just white. Not to mention wouldn't a white led pull less amps than an RGB led at the same lumens?

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Can your controller be configured to work with such strings? E.g. to avoid each group of 3 pixels doing the same as each other (expecting R+G+B led pixel, actually running 3x white led pixel).

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
To answer for David yes it can. If there is only a single white led being driven then the green and blue channels would be doing nothing. The red setting would control the white led. The board David is doing is a many months old project that he and I were working on and it was originally designed for a white led but it allows the board to have rgb pixels attached and use them as budget priced low intensity strobes. The strobe boards that I have been designing up and may actually assemble tomorrow use 1W white leds which should be about 6 times brighter than using conventional rgb pixels. That is purely based on maths and not on how efficient the respective leds are. If I get the strobes built I will try to do a side by side comparing a pixel and a strobe.

A

Andrew_Frazer

David_AVD said:
Sounds like Andrew has the strings sorted. Maybe people can use those strings with my controller?

I'll talk to you offline and maybe we can do somerhign

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Alan, I'll send you a controller board next week to test with the 2801 based pixel strobes you're making. :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31385205/Strobe%20vid.avi 4 2801 based strobes
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31385205/Strobe%20and%202%20pixels.avi 4 2801 based strobes and 2 rgb pixels.

The camera isn't even showing the strobes even when looking into the end of a strobe that was singeing my retinas in the 2nd video. No idea what that is about.

Hoping to see a board from David soon and I'll send him up a couple of strobes to play with.

I'm still seeing blotches :(