Repairing my faulty F48

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Here's a write up and video about me fixing my F48 not powering on.

My light show was running fine December 4th 2023 up until 9PM.
At first I saw the network ports indicator lights were off and the OLED was displaying 'Idle'. On power reboot the board did not turn back on. Uh Oh!
Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

The next day I powered it on and saw two power indicator LEDs flickering. Some sign of life, which indicates it could be a thermal related issue (cold start).
1705920809174.png

Probing around the board with a multimeter in DC voltage metering, I found that the input voltage from the PSU was indeed at 5v.
Next was measuring the voltage regulators. VR1 is a 5v to 3.3.v regulator. VR2 is a 3.3v to 1.2v regulator. VR1's output is wired to VR2.
VR1 should be receiving near 5v from the power input to the board, instead it was supplied ~2.4v.

Measuring up stream;
Q2 and Q1 are mosfets controlled by U2 chip. U2 is a over voltage, over current and reverse polarity detection device which will not bias Q1 & Q2 mosfets if there is a problem.
Q1 & Q2 won't work with or without U(2).

Measuring Q1 P-Channel MOSFET, there was very little voltage across drain and source.
However, Q2 N-Channel MOSFET had 2.6v drop across drain and source!

1705920831280.png

Confirming on thermal camera, this component was hot.
1705920849497.png

Now luckily this isn't the streets with no name and these components have a number!
And unlike U2, I have found what I'm looking for:
Here's the part numbers which David Pitts emailed to me:
Q1P-Channel MOSFETDMP6180SK3Q-13
Q2N-Channel MOSFETDMTH4007LK3-13

I didn't receive this email until after I ordered DMTH4007LK3Q-13 from Mouser Electronics.
Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

After waiting for a few days DHL shipping I received 10 DMTH4007LK3Q-13. On the 11th it was time for some really bad soldering with my under powered soldering iron.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuquTRQkcZ4

And it's a Beautiful Day! The fix worked. It's the Sweetest Thing!
(I'll stop with the U2 jokes now).

1705921797914.png

Thank goodnes the controller was working for the rest of December!
I plan on taking my F48 into University soon and use their better soldering equipment.