Seed pixel struggles

MrCamo

New elf
G'day all,
Just wondering if anyone else is struggling with Ray's seed pixels? I cant seem to paste the link in a tidy way but they are 12v 22AWG green wire, 200ct 5cm spacing.
I've got them loosely wrapped around a tree trunk and I'm getting 1-2 dropping per night and ive got no idea why. I'm running out of gel connectors 😬

20231221_203940.jpg

Checked my voltage which is sitting steady at 12.1V and they don't seem to have water ingress or epoxy issues. Are they just extremely finicky?

Keen to hear your thoughts if I should bite the bullet and go 12mm nodes on my trees as well.

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
I am running 2k of them on a mega tree, aside from a poorly wired plug on one of the strings I have not had a single seed failure from Ray ( using 12v clear )

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Just under 1800 on my solar panels. No issues yet, and they have been getting pretty hot up there!

coops

New elf
Yeah my GFLAIs are dying at the same rate at 5v. Saying that my second roll from them was faulty every 10th-15th was faulty.

Mine "seems" to be a wiring issue, as in the faulty lot if you wiggle the cable it will intermediately flicker. So I reckon water might be ingressing in that way maybe?

Although some props seem to have no issues, others, one to two a night. Similar orientation too so makes no sense

Love the idea of the seeds, but hard to work with and it seems hit and miss if you get a good batch? Or is it we need to handle them like they're made of cotton maybe?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Yeah my GFLAIs are dying at the same rate at 5v. Saying that my second roll from them was faulty every 10th-15th was faulty.

Mine "seems" to be a wiring issue, as in the faulty lot if you wiggle the cable it will intermediately flicker. So I reckon water might be ingressing in that way maybe?

Although some props seem to have no issues, others, one to two a night. Similar orientation too so makes no sense

Love the idea of the seeds, but hard to work with and it seems hit and miss if you get a good batch? Or is it we need to handle them like they're made of cotton maybe?
Really strange, gflai here and 100% ok. How are yours installed? Tensioned length ways?

MrCamo

New elf
Yea very strange. Glad they're working out for you guys for the most part. I might pick some more up in the new year from a few vendors and do some stress testing

darylc

404 darylc not found

I had a bad batch from knowshine, 30000 off the roll there were some dead pixels (even marked by the manufacturer), but then through building the prop more and more and more showed up, wiggle the cable type thing. I kept replacing strands one by one as it happened but it was eventually not usable for the display and is going in the bin.

bmh255

New elf
Generous elf
Will watch this one with interest. Was thinking of getting some seeds for next year to light up a hedge and some small trees.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
I got 4x 400m 8000seed rolls from knowshine, i had issues of seeds dieing during the build process.
but im still lucky to have no issues with them 2x 10m x 1.8m matrix's

Last edited:

coops

New elf
Really strange, gflai here and 100% ok. How are yours installed? Tensioned length ways?
Don't believe there's any tension. The ones that can wiggle were the dodgy roll, they flicker and carry on. The ones that die on the props just die.

It's strange as. The Merry Christmas sign on the roof copes all the rain and sun, and is going well. It seems to be the ones on the fence or sheltered... I unno

darylc

404 darylc not found
they stop passing data to the next pixel, I will build my prop again in 2024, using seed pixels with data redundancy

Last edited:

Kent

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
FWIW, I've added a bit over 10k 5v 4 wire seeds with redundancy from knowshine this year.

One was marked faulty on the roll, seemed to work ok, but I discarded it anyway. Found another unmarked that was faulty straight off the reel.

Of the 10k that made it to the show, I've had two play up. One of those stays a faint blue when it should be off, but otherwise works fine. The other seems to be missing green (I get a purple colour when it should be white). Neither of those impact subsequent LEDs and aren't really noticeable, so I've just left them as is.

...also, all of mine are under a little tension (i.e. MT with no strain relief)

Last edited: