Tees now available - 13.5mm Ray Wu and xConnect

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The first of the 2 (types) of new products is finally on the site.
These are 4 different tees made with flat wire pigtails so that they are nice and light and they can virtually do a butt join. The 2 power injection wires are bare wires to allow for the user to decide what sort of connector they wish to use as there is soooooo many different options. As well as the 2 3 pin connector styles Xconnect and 13.5mm (aka Ray Wu) the tees come in 2 styles with either the power passing through from input to output or alternately just from the injection wires to the output.
https://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/.../xconnect-flat.../
https://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/.../xconnect-flat.../
https://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/pro.../13-5mm-flat-tee/
https://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/.../13-5mm-flat.../
Tee-xconnect-dim1.jpgpower pass tee.pngnon power pass tee.png

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Hey @AAH - can you articulate how these are different than other tees? I’m probably just missing something obvious.

Iain

Full time elf
I’ve never seen the “non power pass tee”… OOC what would you use that for?

(Obviously power injection, but I'm wondering why you wouldn't just inject both sides - is it for separating 12V/5V systems?)

Last edited:

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
I’ve never seen the “non power pass tee”… OOC what would you use that for?

(Obviously power injection, but I'm wondering why you wouldn't just inject both sides - is it for separating 12V/5V systems?)
It’s for when you inject from 2 different power supplies.

bpratt

Senior elf
I think it is great Alan has done this.

I've always found the existing Tees have been cumbersome with the HD props we're all now putting in our shows. These new ones will fit in a more compact manner.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hey @AAH - can you articulate how these are different than other tees? I’m probably just missing something obvious.
Wire is 3 core flat wire, like on pixels, as opposed to 3 core sheathed round, like on extensions. It means it's able to be "positioned" more easily as you're not fighting thick insulation

The other of course, being bare wire PI inputs, rather than a 2 pin or 3 pin xConnect etc, meaning you can PI from any source without creating funny cables.

AAH

The main advantage/difference is that the use of the flat wire pigtails means that they are far more flexible and you can fit them in easier. I also chose to get them with bare wires for the injection as there's quite a number of options used for injecting. Some of these are 2 core male Ray Wu, 2 core female Ray Wu, 3 core male Ray Wu, 3 core female Ray Wu, 4 core :jawdrop: , waterproof automotive connectors and who knows what else.
The power pass tee is probably the most commonly used tee but safetywise they are the less safe option. In my power injection presso for the Melb mini that I didn't get to do I covered a lot of this stuff. I will be uploading the presso once I work out how to do a voiceover to go with the powerpoint. I also want to do some fancy graphics to indicate current flow which I had planned to do by waving my hands all over the place while doing the live presso.
The non power pass variety of the tee is perfect for when you are sending data from a controller but you want to have the power supply adjacent to a prop but remote from the controller. For example you might have the controller 20m away from a high density prop and rather than try to get power over that distance or worry about dropping out the +5/+12 from the wiring coming from the controller. This is also in the aforementioned presso. You can also use it to mix and match 5V, 12V and 24V pixels on the same data output.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Thanks Alan, I hadn't really noticed issued with mine - but I might try out some flat wire ones and see if I can spot a difference.

Question - would it be possible to have it without wires? basically butt up the 3 wire input and output into a single bit of plastic -- and then have the 2 wires coming out from there? Terrible paint impression here:
Tee-xconnect-dim1.jpeg

westaussie

New elf
Thanks Allan, is there any identification between the power pass and the non power pass (should you have both in the display)?

AAH

Thanks Allan, is there any identification between the power pass and the non power pass (should you have both in the display)?
The 4 different tees look sufficiently alike that it's hard to pick which is which from a side on photo. Originally the plan was for the power pass to have white caps fitted but that got missed in production. For the moment all of the tees will go out with 1 of my Pixel Tags on them with a T or crossed T on them. I'll get similar tags made up to save me having to mark them.

DarkwinX

Full time elf
The power pass tee is probably the most commonly used tee but safetywise they are the less safe option. In my power injection presso for the Melb mini that I didn't get to do I covered a lot of this stuff.
Interested in understanding how they are less safe. Maybe I need to wait for the preso!

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Interested in understanding how they are less safe. Maybe I need to wait for the preso!
Consider this connection:

PSU1 --> Controller ---> Pixels A ---> Tee ---> Pixels B

If Tee is fed from a second power supply PSU2, and
- has power pass, you've just connected both power supplies in parallel. This is the dangerous bit if the PSUs are not made for it.
- does not have power pass, PSU2 powers Pixels B, and PSU1 powers Pixels A, which is perfectly fine.

The power pass is useful when bringing in power from PSU1 a second time into the string to allow it to back-feed into Pixels A as well as run Pixels B.

Rickras85

Apprentice elf
Consider this connection:

PSU1 --> Controller ---> Pixels A ---> Tee ---> Pixels B

If Tee is fed from a second power supply PSU2, and
- has power pass, you've just connected both power supplies in parallel. This is the dangerous bit if the PSUs are not made for it.
- does not have power pass, PSU2 powers Pixels B, and PSU1 powers Pixels A, which is perfectly fine.

The power pass is useful when bringing in power from PSU1 a second time into the string to allow it to back-feed into Pixels A as well as run Pixels B.
Alan was most likely also referring to when people power inject they use a second fuse but don’t break the positive therefore the two fuses are in parallel

Reactions: AAH