1 year old pixels failing

Adam V

Apprentice elf

Hey guys,

This is my second year and my first year pixels are all starting to fail. I’m Constantly replacing 3-5 every night. I believe it’s due to water getting into them. Has anyone else had this issue? Thinking of replacing all 2000 of them that are in the weather.
D04EE3D7-F5D8-46E5-B1E1-FA985FFB60DA.jpeg

F0ACC736-6AD7-48D0-8AA0-FA99A84D12FA.jpeg

battle79

Full time elf
The epoxy looks like it has cracked and let in lots water that's for sure. The sleeve is not really a problem (electrically) being off if all the electronics are potted properly in the epoxy they will still work fine. I'd definitely talk to the supplier and negotiate if they are willing to send you some or possibly all as a replacement if it getting that bad.

Touch wood, I've only had ~20 failed pixels in 8 years, and I have ~12,000 pixels.

Do note, I didn't buy any pixels in 2020.

Regards,

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Yes unfortunately there have been numerous reports of bad quality pixels (be it soldering or epoxy related) the last 2 years particularly.
You may wish to contribute your data here so the wider group has some data on how/when/why these failures occur and the vendors can be made responsible: https://www.pixel.report/

Adam V

Apprentice elf
Cheers guys. I have sent an email and will add to these failures to the site. I know the quality it low atm. I still scratch my head on where to buy decent quality pixels.