1600w PC PSU?

stooged

Pixelated
hey guys just looking for a bit of info on using this pc psu.

i currently have a falcon f16v4 board connected up to 2x meanwell lrs 350 12 units and in that same box is 2x f8 distro boards connected up to a lrs 350 12 for each board so in that box is 4x lrs 350 12 units.
the second box i have has 2 smart receivers connected up to a single lrs 350 12 and 1x f8 distro connected up to a rsp 500 12.

i am looking to add a f16v4 expansion to the main control board and 1 or 2 more f8 distro boards and i have this psu left over from my mining hobby which is a 1600w unit

the specs list that on the 12v rail it can push 133A so i thought i would ask if there is any reason not to use a psu like this to power the expansion board or the f8 distro boards?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind the distros can only handle about 30A max, so don't load up one too hard.

Also, most of those high output PSUs have multiple 12V rails, often distinguished by different coloured stripes on the yellow 12V wires, or specifically marked PCIe connectors. For all intents and purposes they are independent power supplies, and treat them as such as far as not letting the V+ lines be connected etc.
Without looking into the specifics on this particular PSU, I can't comment on whether it's of that design or not.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf

stooged

Pixelated
treat them as such as far as not letting the V+ lines be connected etc.
yes i was going to open it up and try to identify the individual rails and then being a modular unit i was going to create the cables to match.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
You will find each 12V line within a single PCIe connector/output will be on a single rail. So you could just chop off the PCI connector and throw on a pair of spade lugs across the three +VE and Gnd and connect it to each distro.
It might also be a single rail power supply, and if that's the case, even better - you don't have to stress about it.

stooged

Pixelated
well i seem to be in luck, apon inspection the psu has 3 single rails to a distro board for the modular connections, one is 12v one is 5v and one is 3.3v.
it has 9 vga/pcie outputs so i think i will just split those evenly across what i am connecting.

something along the lines of 2 for each side of the f16 expansion and 2 for each f8 distro.

cheers for the help guys 👍