2020 COVID newbie - blog post

Nojoy

Full time elf
Having been wanting to step away from solar lights from Bunnings and BigW the last two years, but being a bit anxious of the cost and time sink musical RGB displays seemed to take, I finally took the plunge this year after an unexpected bonus at work left me some disposable income, and COVID with the time to invest.

This post is basically just a blog post of my experiences (successes and failures) for products I’ve looked at and tried for others who are thinking of dipping their toes in in 2021.

Firstly, read the 101 manual.

Then try to watch as many behind the scences (BTS) videos as possible on Youtube. Living Light Shows; Canispater Christmas; Lawrence Drive Lights are all my go to’s.

I still find myself going back to both manual and youtube weekly.

The Budget

Plan was initially (roof outline only) a budget of below $2,000AUD. In all, I think this blew out to about $2,600 by November.

The Controller

Advatek Pixlite 16 Plug & Play

8 * Advatek 4 core female pigtails

8 * Advatek female screw in connectors

2 * 5m Advatek 4 core extension leads

In 2020 there are many different controllers available. I had no interest in Light-o-Rama or DMX displays. Reading through the forum vendors I narrowed my choices down to a Falcon16 or an Advatek PixLite16 Plug and Play simply because I was too overwhelmed by the other options.

Being in QLD I wasn’t overly confident when starting that I could manufacture a control box using a Falcon, so I opted for the safe weatherproof design of the PixLite P&P. Supporting an Australian (Melbourne based) business was also appealing during COVID.

This controller is setup with a meanwell 12v 320w RSP power supply, inbuilt Ethernet, fully cabled to the control boards. 16 pre-installed 4amp outputs, with 4 core wiring allowing for newer pixel varieties; and the option to config the 4th clock wire as a second data output to double the pixel capacity. All this sounded great on the brochure – and provides a very simple, easy entry point to the hobby.

However, as I’ve gone through my build and learnt more and more, this choice is the single limiting factor in growth for future years. The PixLite16 P&P has two really constraining features:
  • The control board can only support 170 pixels (510 channels) per data string. So while they can support up to 96 universes over the expanded 32 outputs, the actual pixel number the board outputs to is a fraction of what other competing boards can facilitate.
  • The P16 P&P can only support one variety of pixels at a time. So all 16/32 outputs must be the exact same pixel type. I started with WS2811, so unless I changed the whole build, that’s what Im limited to – and as written later in the pixel type area, this impacted a poor pixel buy as well.
Future: For 2021 I will be using the P16 P&P to drive a larger tree; and for the rest I am moving to Hansen Electronic’s HE123 mk2 with a Beaglebone Green to drive the rest of the components.

Show Computer

Running everything from my PC in my office, I have 20m and 30m runs of Ethernet out the office window into the front yard. 20m run is to the pixel controller. 30m run carries HDMI to the projector.

Didn’t see the need for a separate RPi since I wanted to output video to projector as well as having everything automated.

Pixels

500 * WS2811 Rexin 12v Bullet Nodes (50 nodes per)

500 * ETop Lighting 12v bullet nodes (50 nodes per)

2 * 5m WS2811 (Slow) Strip from Amazon (30led p/m)

2 * 5m WS2811 (Fast) Strip from RayWu(30 led p/m)

I really just wanted to dip my toe into the hobby this year. I started out buying 500 WS2811 bullet node pixels from Rextin off Amazon AU to do some house outlines and a roll of pixel strip (boscoyo knock off) from Alan. I went with 12v on the controller and pixels to avoid power injection, noting my roof outline would mean ~6-9meter cable runs + outline length.

Upon receipt I learnt that the Rextin pixels were only 7.5cm (3 inch) apart, while RayWu and others are typically 10cm (4inch). While the Rextin could still work at 3 hole spacing in the pixel strip, it was hard on the hands J

Walking around Bunnings looking for inspiration on how best to attach the pixel strip to my colourbond gutters, my curiousity kicked in and I started to dream up other props (for future years as I told my wife).

I came across 180degree plant trainers https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-1350mm-grip-and-grow-curve-vegie-frame-plant-trainer_p0054574 that I thought would be great for mini trees. 64 pixels and 4*1.2m strips of pixel plastic each, how can I pivot to still do the house and the mini trees?

Enter ETop lighting promotion on Alibaba for free shipping on another 500 pixels, and 20m of 3 core lighting cable for extension leads from Bunnings.

Next up, I found a post relating to air-seeder hose alternatives for arches suggesting the use of an 8m run of pool vacuum hosing from Bunnings. Cut down into 4 * 2m section with 32mm conduit inspection tees at each end, these can work nicely as 1m diameter arches.

This led to the purchase of 2 * 5050 led WS2811 strips from Amazon. However upon receipt I struggled to get them working. In my haste I cut off the installed JST connectors and replaced with advatek pigtails, thinking they could be the fault.

Further investigation led to the discovery that WS2811 strips come in two speeds – 400khz and 800khz, with the difference being a single pin on the ICB before each section of leds. As the P16 P&P can only control one variety of pixels across the entire range of outputs, these were useless without a second controller. And being IP67 sealed, I didn’t really feel like spending the time prying up a pin on each ICB, so those are now spares for 2021 or beyond.

Lesson learnt, I replaced those with 2 * WS2811 strips from Ray who confirmed the speed before purchase.

Now I had the outline, the mini trees and the arches I wanted – with ~400 pixels spare.

Lessons learnt:
  • slow v fast WS2811 pixel strips
  • bullet nodes have an input and output end – if they don’t light up, change the end data is being inputted
  • go with reputable vendors (a few bucks can save headaches)

Props

Vertical Walls

2m section of 25mm grey conduit, bullet node holes drilled in with 12.5mm drill bit. Set onto wall using a metal piece glued to side of house, and magnet attached to conduit clip. Also supported by S hooks hanging from eye screws in the awning.

Dutch Gables

Sections of 25mm grey conduit, bullet nodes drilled in. Attached to metal gable with magnet attached to conduit clips.

Garage Roof

Horizontal section uses boscoyo type pixel strip zip tied to 25mm conduit sections, attached to gutter with magnets attached to conduit clips.

Vertical sections 25mm grey conduit, bullet nodes drilled in. Attached to roof with magnet attached to conduit clips.

Mini Trees

180 degree plant trainers, with 4 strips of 16 pixels on boscoyo type strip. Plant Trainers are self supporting hammered into front lawn.

Arches

4 * 2m (circumference – ~1m diameter) sections of translucent pool hose with 5m pixel strips pulled through. Each section supported by 2 * 32mm conduit inspection tees, 40mm pvc clips, threaded ground pins and a green metal stake.

Last edited:

Nojoy

Full time elf
Flat Tree

In previous years I have had a 3m tall 360 degree tree in the front yard, so making a megatree for my display was always appealing. Noting 400 pixels was a little light on for a full megatree, I settled on a flat tree design after watching some community videos.

I already had an aluminum telescopic pool pole from my previous DYI tree and set about using some spare conduit left over from the roof line.

14 * 25 pixels (3 hole spacing) - pegged in at bottom and supported by a kick stand and a pegged in leader rope at back.

Star

One of the Christmas shops on the Gold Coast had a fabric 3D star that I really liked the look of. Sheer fabric with metal frame. Creates a diffuse look using spare 40 pixels I had left over.

Projector

When starting to look into sequences using xlights, I really liked some of the Disney sequences from Magical Light Shows. But they didn’t have the same impact without a matrix or projector. I didn’t feel I could get approval from the budget committee to extend the purchase of another set of pixels this year, nor could I be bothered with expanding the controller to 32 outputs (and the associated power supply requirements).

Instead I started looking at Gumtree, Kogan and ebay projectors. Reading through forums and asking in chat, I eventually decided to test the waters with a cheap ebay projector (small investment, small reward). I already had a spare HDMI over Ethernet set sitting in my unused cable box, so set this up to display video over the garage door.

Hiding the projector in the middle (or there abouts) of the driveway became a concern.

Using an old military trunk, and building a 40*40cm 20mm conduit box, I designed a set of three presents (wrapped in plastic Christmas table cloths), with the top one housing the projector inside a weatherproof box, the speaker, a usb powered fan and a Logitech harmony hub.

The weatherproof box is a modded storage tub with two air vents, a cable gland, and a projection hole cut out in the front, covered with transparent plastic.

The projector itself puts out about 200 lumen (as expected from a low value) and only has horizontal manual keystone, not vertical. This means the picture skews left (small) to right (large), but its workable and im happy enough with it.

Sound

My wife is (unreasonably imo) concerned about our neighbour’s comfort. I purchased a small cd/radio boombox from Kmart connected to the Projector using 3.5mm stereo that will be powerful enough for those passing by but shouldn’t result in noise complaints.

I also had an old usb powered FM transmitter that connects via 3.5mm stereo. Our place is in the middle of a residential area. Cars passing by will almost be single file so its an option, but doesn’t need to be very powerful.

Both are housed inside the fake present protecting the projector from the weather.

Automation

Most of my house is configured inside the Google Home eco-system. Extending this to the display was always a given. Bunnings now has a good quality set of Arlec power sockets that I’ve connected to power on devices at set times in the associated Grid Connect app.

I also had a Logitech Harmony Hub that was made redundant with a new smart speaker purchase this year. Putting that into the Projector box allows me to automate control of the projector via IR, allowing me to power on, change to HDMI input, play file and power off as part of a sequence.

The USB fan is also connected to the powered output on the Projector, meaning it switches on when the power comes on.

All of this is chained to the bottom trunk, which itself is weighted and pegged.

Tooling
Failed Tooling Options
  • UR Connectors – waste of money and really frustrating. Meant to provide a solderless weather-resistant wire connection (insert up to three wires, press down on clamp with pliers). Problem is most of what we work with in the hobby is different wire gauge, and generally will be thrown around a bit – and these cant handle that. Just stick to soldering and heat shrinking.
  • Metal Strapping – my original plan for my arches was to support the arch on the underside with metal house strapping. Not easy to work with, doesn’t hold its shape without significant tension (nails in house frame). Abandoned with use of stakes. (did end up using small pieces glued to side of house to provide magnetic connection for verticals)
  • Drilling holes through conduit. Did this by hand and eyeball. Don’t do this if you want straight lines! Going with strip for the outline next year, but its good enough for year 1.
  • JST Connectors. Most WS2811 strips come with JST connectors installed. The Rextin bullets did as well. These are IP44, and certainly not QLD tolerant. Ended up buying an extra 25 pigtail pairs to replace all JST connectors with IP68 rated.
Conclusion

All in all Im happy with the small build I have created for 2020. Plenty of lessons learnt, skills acquired and feel part of the community.

Wife has ordered some coro stuff (thanks Troy) and the HE123 (thanks Alan) for my Christmas present, so plenty to play with in the new year.

Now to await approval to put the props up…then will add photos

Last edited:

KiwiPhil

Full time elf
Hi Nojoy, a couple of comments about the pixlite P+P

the 170 pixels per output is purely because of the power supply in the pre made box, you will face this with whatever controller you use. Its not a limitation of the controller, it can still do 1020 pixels per output, you just need power injection along the chain ( same for all controllers ) (510px in expanded mode).

The pixel type you are correct cannot be changed per output like the falcon, but ws2811 is the same protocol as ws2812, ws2812b etc, anything with ws281x will work. The only difference I have found is the rgb order changes and this can be changed per port or in xlights per prop. I have run 2812b, 2011 strips and pixels all from the same pixlite without issues - I have not hit the 400/800khz issue you have

hope this helps

Joshaaye

Hoping that everything still works..
Thank you so much for this! It was a fantastic read and I learnt A LOT. I'm 1 week into my journey towards my first display next year and you've helped me think about a lot of things and point me in the right direction for a lot of stuff. Can't wait to see the photos!