2811 Ring LED wiring???

ShayneT

Apprentice elf
First please excuse my drawing skills. I have purchased (although not the exact one), some of these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-Bit-60mm-5V-Rainbow-Precise-WS2812-WS2811-5050-RGB-LED-Lamp-Panel-Round-Light/322745023361?hash=item4b251a3b81:g:v0oAAOSwT~ZZuqZmRound LED rings.

Clearly I am missing a fundamental wiring step. My thoughts was to run them like plasma-cicles. I want to use them to light up tombstones for Halloween. I know I should have build prior to now to work out the kinks but i thought I understood the theory behind it.

I am using 18 g speaker wire to make the connections. The first one works and the ones down the chain flake out. Is it possible that the chip is not strong enough to regenerate the signal (about 8 feet between each one)?

I tried driving it off a $3 2811 tester like and off of my controller for the Holiday Coro Pixel tree.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-RGB-RF...402049?hash=item2f08efe3c1:g:Ns4AAOSwIWZZh-hi

If the signal is too low when regenerated, could a null pixel directly attached to the ring output help?

Attachments

• doc03029520181005103237.pdf
    189.3 KB · Views: 46

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Great to see a wiring diagram attached to a post where someone has a problem.
8ft should be within the distance that the data should go. A null mounted partway between the rings should fix the issue if that's what it is.
If it's not a data issue then the problem could well be a voltage loss one as when I punched in some numbers it looks like 3 of those rings and 30ft of 18awg wires will give you a voltage drop at the end of about 1.1V which is just about enough to cause issues.
Testing for data or voltage loss could be tried by fading up the 3rd ring by itself and seeing if it works fine. If it does then it is quite likely the data is okay. If you fade the 3 rings (actually the 48 pixels) gradually up and the problem occurs when the current has increased significantly then it's likely it's voltage.