2811DC30 v's DMXC36

wilkie

New elf
Hi Guys,

I have a heap of led light strings, simple ones without controllers I want to integrate into my display with pixels and dumb rgb strings. I am pretty sure I have figured out both boards do pretty much the same thing, just one is integrated into a pixel string and the other straight dmx control but just wondering from a physical setup (wiring) and from a programming point of view which is easier to use as beginner

Thanks

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The biggest difference between the 2 is the difference in distance that the "network" wiring can be. With the 2811DC you're limited to maybe 5-10m between the pixel devices (controller, pixels, boards) unless you use something like my null pixel buffer which can get you to 30m+ per buffer. With DMX boards the theoretical max distance is 1.2km end to end.
As far as sequencing within xlights there is absolutely no difference between them. Ignoring the network distance difference the only other real thing to look out for is that DMX boards have a start address on the boards and no matter what order you plug the boards into that dmx data cable the board always controls the same channels. With the 2811DC boards they have no onboard addressing the same as all pixels. The order in which you place props and boards needs to match exactly how you configure within xlights.