5v PSU from Ray Wu

burner

Full time elf
I purchased a couple of 5v and 12v and 1 27v PSU's from Ray Wu's store. The 12v and 27v seem to run without the fan and are apparently thermostatically controlled (never really had them on heavy load, so not sure if the fans will even kick in). My main concern is the 5v PSU's the fans come on straight away and stay on permanetly (no variable speed either). It happens on both the 5v PSU's.
Has anyone else seen/reported this to Ray? Is there a fix, or do you just leave it on as it?

Lost sol

New elf
I just got a couple 5v and 12v PSU from Ray and my 5v do the same thing. I thought it was a bit odd cause unit is not even the slightest bit warm. I haven't played with my 12v units yet, guess I need to.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
I only have 12v PSUs, my fans turn on and off, but it is not a variable speed fan. It's full boar or nothing.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I think its really the design, i have 12vdc ones that do it and ones that dont that were bought at different times.
Its the most recent ones I have that are thermastatically controlled where as the older ones are load dependant where the fan stays on all the time and then speeds up when there is load.

The 5VDC power supplies may be still like this due to the higher current requirements with 5vdc power supplies, it may be a design change and the 5vdc power supplies are still the same stock, or it could be power supplies from different manufacturers.

Either way there is nothing wrong with it, its just a different method used for fan control

burner

Full time elf
Thanks fella's, just want to confirm I didn't get a couple of dud PSU's. They'll be going into the garages at both sides of my house, so hopefully a little quieter inside. For now though, while testing, it's driving me bonkers.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Same hear I have 2 5v ones that run mt mega tree. the fans in them run all the time and speed up when under load