6803 RGB Pixels

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
mrpackethead said:
Don't underestimate the trouble that the waterproofing will give you... :)

and Just FYI, the opensource driver i'm about to post, will with a small firmware modication, will happily convert DMX --> 6803, so if you want to use that you can.

After seeing the effort gone into ensuring waterproofing in your RGB Pixels in person, I have emphasized the importance of this.

Some DIY/risk/cost/benefit is being done here, as much as I love what you have, it's outside my price range (at least this year).

Good news on the opensource driver, be good to see. I have already mentioned the 5 bit colour depth and it doesn't hurt to keep mentioning it, it may be important to many.

Cheers
Phil

Tabor

Full time elf
Heres a video testing some water proofing tests on the pixels (little lengthy).

I used liquid electricians tape. I could only find Black locally, but i can be sourced in clear.

6803 under water

I am working on a time lapse video, so I can see how long they last.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Great work there Tabor, that looks very promising, looks like there is a way to make these little babies waterproof.

Tabor

Full time elf
Just a little update on the waterproofing of these pixels.

The pixel has now been sitting under water running a colour change routine for close to 24 hrs now.

I think I can safely say that the liquid electrician tape works quite well (thanks MPH).

mrpackethead

Full time elf
Um, dont' want to be a spoil sport, but you'll need to test that liquid electrical tape on teh strings out of the water in the sun.. UV is such a nasty thing..

Tabor

Full time elf
That was the next test.
Unfortunately we do not have much sun here at the moment.

mrpackethead

Full time elf
I can save you some greif.. Liquid electrical tape will break down in UV.. Seemed like a good idea to me as well, i did 2000 of them lsat year.. Worked for about a week, then it came off.. It does'nt bond to the plastic moldings..

fj

Apprentice elf
hi there,

do you guys buy these as single pixels then wire them up yourself or get them wired for however you want them configured?

thanks, fj

Tabor

Full time elf
Hello FJ

We get them already made in strings.

We can specify how many we would like in a string.

Considerations need to be taken for power injection.