A look back on my Xmas 2023 display - where it all began

Hoodlum

New elf
Hi all,

Just documenting my work from when i started this crazy journey to XMAS 2023 lights

it all began in March 2023... wait - rewind a bit...
Well, TBH it started much longer ago than that, but family and life got in the way... let me summarise

2015 - renting - I played around with vixen software - gave up shortly after that - could not even comtemplate a light show as the rental was the house at the rear of a subdivided block.
2016 - same as above renting and life.
2017 - lost hope of xmas pixels... decided to build a life size R2D2 to spec from scratch - this had its own blinky WS2812 lights to satisfy me - moved rentals
2018 - I became R2 obsessed with building my R2 24/7 had to use the force!!!!
2019 - 97% finished R2 - remote controlable, flapping and bleeping! Purchased a mini cnc - hey this is cool... next project was build a bigger 3D printed CNC... meh - unsatisfactory result - scrapped - think i got more use and better results out of the mini cnc. ;)
2020 - CNC 2nd try - Yes - PrintNC - this is a rock solid beast - could of used this to build R2 so many happy returns - maybe next time of use it for something else... purchased a 40W CO2 laser cutter - this is fun!
2021 - i purchased a new address and moved again, i downloaded xlights in readiness... damn, again, unpacking and life got in the way.
2022 - early november... quick purchase some pixel strings from Aliexpress... oh xlights, thats right, whoa, what do i do here, er, um... damn, not enough time - esp8266 and wled to the rescue - got full frontal gutter covered and a mini tree 360deg 6 x 25 - WLED sequences playlist - (sinister) later i'd hear how they were all watching.
2023 - soon to be continued...

bmh255

New elf
Generous elf
Sounds like quite an adventure. Would love to see some photos of R2D2.

Life always seeems to get in the way of my Christmas light plans and I end up having to do it all late at night at the last minute. Mounting lights after 9 pm on the roof makes my neighbours think I’m crazy. If only they knew

Kent

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
You're in good company - there were several nights I was on the roof after 11pm this season.

Hoodlum

New elf
Sounds like quite an adventure. Would love to see some photos of R2D2.
oh boy was it... so much fun over a long period - like a steady release of endorphins, the bodies little rewards for your completed achievements!

im only seeing 4 images but there are 5 - so click on the above to get them all