A sad day

Lenny

New elf
After doing a test run last night I've noticed that one of my LED strings has partly burned out and has gone dull. It was slightly sentimental due to it being one of the first sets I bought 5 years ago. But I guess it's an excuse just to go buy more

the grinch

I guess I could use a little social interaction
Yes unfortunately things dont last in the weather would hate to know how much money has been put through our rubbish bin over the years .trust me you where lucky to have 5 yrs out of them and quality of shopping center lights is getting worse 2 sets of big w lights we bought last year for roof $60 each I think are no good after being on roof for possible 3mths. Finding pixels seem to last longer but more expensive obviously but do look weathered . So yes it happens

i13

Dedicated elf
You can make store bought light sets last. I have several sets from the sales at the end of 2008 and 2009. You have to fix problems as they arise and don't leave them up year round. It isn't always fixable if you're still using the original plugpack though because it can stop working. I'm using DC control. What sort of control system are you using?

Watch out with buying new lights. If there's an 8 function controller then there needs to be at least three wires going to the lights.

franky_888

Full time elf
The problem I'm going to face as my strings start failing is finding replacements, it seems all of the retailers here in Aus have gone for the cheaper 2 wire lights that can no longer be DC controlled. To make matters worse someone cleaned BIGW out on me early last year so I couldn't stock up! :(

Will be my 4th year (2nd year with light control), so far I've had no failures, but my lcicles are looking nasty!

i13

Dedicated elf
There are still a few icicles with three wires this year. K-Mart has them for $17 in multicolour and warm white. Target has them for $20 in multicolour and pure white. Icicles from both places are 4.9 metres long.

Lenny

New elf
after reading a few posts about them changing i just opened up a few boxes that i bought last week to find out that bigW have changed to the 2 wire style. now that has really just made my day