Adding a Wireless remote to your Snow machine

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Hi All,
I got a common Snow Machine off ebay last year for under $100,
but i got board real fast running to the trigger switch every time i wanted to turn it on..

My solution was a simple one button remote an receiver off Ebay for a couple of bucks,

So i wired the wireless receiver onto the back of the normal remote switch,
an Presto instant wireless Snow Machine (an really easy to do for any skill-level)

I have made a simple how-to on my Web-Page if anyone is interested
http://www.smartaleclights.com/index.php?page=electronics&cat=snowmachine

justinj

Apprentice elf
I put a little 2 pin socket in the bottom of the wired remote (So that I could use it like normal and have it look neat), then wired that up to a relay that was triggered in my sequence so that I didn't have to manually do it and it was able to be triggered along with the music at desired sections. I'll try and take a photo of my setup to give a how to incase someone wants a $100 PC controlled one as I thought that the DMX machines were overpriced!
(As is the foam. I ended up making my own mixture up which turned out fine and about 15% of the cost. Not the same link but seems like very similar quantities I used in mine: http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?9751-Snow-fluid-recipe-anyone)

justinj

Apprentice elf
It was just a regular relay driven from a spare channel on my Renard board, nothing fancy just a $5ish total Jaycar trip. As for the noise (I didn't think they'd be that noisy, and apparently the bigger you get the noisier they are and I went for one of the largest) I ended up putting it on a cheap digital timer to turn off the 240v at 10pm so as not to annoy the neighbours (And the wife as it was only meters from our bedroom).