AlphaPix universe count in xLights

WF_24

New elf
Hi,

I apologize if I'm extremely ignorant here, but I'm having trouble with my Alphapix 4 controller from HolidayCoro. It has 4 outputs, and my understanding is it has 16 DMX Universes.

In the web controller for ease, I programmed one universe per output, I also put 100 pixels on each (for testing purposes). However, in xLights, I can only get universe 1 and 2 to work. If I move the 1 and 2 universe to other outputs they work as well so I know it isn't an output issue.

In the controller setup of Xlights I enabled auto layout and sizing. I then set the start universe to 1, and the universe count is automatically set to 2... shouldn't this be 16 for this controller?

1664863125210.png

1664862910019.png

merryoncherry

Senior elf
These controllers don't "have" 16 universes. They "support up to" 16 universes. If you don't see them, you might not be using them. Also, don't think of it as universes belonging to a port. You can start the port where you choose...

...Or, where xLights chooses. I suggest letting xLights do everything for you, it's a lot easier that way if you get a bigger setup, or even if you just move stuff around / chain on another small prop on a 4-port controller. This means disregarding most HolidayCoro software/controller setup videos, unless you are curious, or troubleshooting.

The xLights approach is far easier:
Set up the controller on the controller tab. Set "Start Universe" if you have more than one controller. Better yet, always set it. Tick the boxes for xLights to control the setup.
Map the models to the ports, using the visualizer or the layout property grid, whichever is most convenient for the circumstance
Upload output to controller. (There is an auto-upload, but there are situations where this is a hindrance, so decide on that for yourself.)
Render the sequence so it gets the right channels applied, as some controller changes reorder the channels.
Good to go test with output to lights.