Any Macbook pro gurus on here??

badger4543

Full time elf
hey guys i have an older macbook pro (late 2011) that i use. it does the job for me and i have no issues with using the old thing but the new updates of xlights are no longer supported on it..

my question for any macbook gurus is if i chuck some ram and potentially and fresh new hard drive in this machine will this be enough for apple to allow me to upgrade to a newer os or would i still have to do a hack install of a later os..

and if i were to have to do a hack install on this machine what would be the best os to use to install on the machine because obviously once ive forced this install i cant then just update to a better os..

honestly the only time the laptop is fired up is to print the odd document and at about this time of the year when i start to plan my xmas lights and my current small layout doesnt take that much time rendering so buying a new machine isnt really on my radar at this point

any help or pointers would be much appreciated..

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
Oh, I'd love to help but the closest I've come to running it on my macbook is running it in docker, on a server in the house, over novnc :D

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Unlikely - the Macs have got a hardware identifier that says what type of machine it is. So the OS still wont install, despite having more disk and ram

Mojave - 10.14 - the minimum xLights needs requires at least a mid-2012 MBP to run.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
The only solution you'll get is to run an older version of xLights. 2022.04 dropped support for all older MacOS versions before 10.14 due to internal changes, and your computer can't run 10.14. So you will be stuck on 2022.03 without upgrading the machine.

I note that 10.14 was released over 4 years ago, and Apple has ended all support for this OS (last year) and it's successor, 10.15 went out of support 1 month ago.

Dreamin

Full time elf
No your model is stuck on it's last version of OSX. Time to move it on and buy a new one. Prepare for big $$$, Macs have gotten expensive!

badger4543

Full time elf
The only solution you'll get is to run an older version of xLights. 2022.04 dropped support for all older MacOS versions before 10.14 due to internal changes, and your computer can't run 10.14. So you will be stuck on 2022.03 without upgrading the machine.

I note that 10.14 was released over 4 years ago, and Apple has ended all support for this OS (last year) and it's successor, 10.15 went out of support 1 month ago.
How much of a disadvantage is the older version of xlights vs newer keeping in mind I only have a very basic layout,

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Bugs may exist that have been fixed in later versions, and new features may not be present - such as being able to push config to newer controllers (Experience Lights for example) and some newer effects, Sketch, WLED effects on single line, etc.