Anyone for a sleigh ride?

scamper

Dedicated elf
mellowcouple said:
wow, that looks great, what materials and paint did you use to seal it from the weather.
It is made from 8mm ply, with treated pine frame. It is undercoated with an external undercoat and I cheated and sprayed it with high gloss enamel. (I had the paint from when I was racing speedway) My wife and kids then spent hours with black gloss enamel doing all the trim and the 'S' is a sticker which I then sprayed a few coats of clear over it to seal it.

mellowcouple

Full time elf
Great so no special paints. I want to make some cutouts for next year and was a bit worried about how to seal it all.
Might make one and leave it outside for a couple months to see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

scamper

Dedicated elf
mellowcouple said:
Great so no special paints. I want to make some cutouts for next year and was a bit worried about how to seal it all.
Might make one and leave it outside for a couple months to see how it goes. Thanks for the info.
The only drama with standard enamel paint is it will fade after a period of time. But with any wood to be used outdoors, if you pay particular attention to the edges, that is where you get most moisture entering which can cause swelling.

MarcD

Full time elf
I had mine professionally sprayed by a panel beater. I think it's actually a Hyundai colour. Only problem was that I had no idea what was involved and she sprayed it in my garage. Pretty much everything in there (including the walls) is still a nice shade of pink.

We put ours together yesterday and I was super organised. Every element was labelled and all the screws for each element were stored in separate marked zip lock bags. Unfortunately, when the first piece I put down, I neglected to look at the label and it went down upside down. By the time we realised, we were too far along and had to drill several new holes for the bolts.

Some of the LED strip along the edges has started to come away, so I'll have to silicone it back in place. Now I have my fingers crossed that the dashboard has survived being in storage.