Are there any E1.31 pixel gateways that can skip pixels?

Timon

Apprentice elf
I'd like to make a special matrix that is not rectangular and because of that I'd like to be able to skip pixels but keep the addresses so programming is easier. Here is an example.

take a 5 X 12 folded matrix which would normally take 60 pixels. I want to only us 34 because there is no grid area for the rest as the base is a triangle. So the live pixels would be 1, 21-31 and 39-60 and another one that would be 1-12, 15-31, 37-40 and 60 with both of those mapped into a DMX space starting at "N" through N+59.

Why you ask, to do something like this.

John

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
I'm wondering if it would be easier to lay this out in software and simply configure pixels in the suggested pattern?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
What software are you intending to use to drive this as i would think this would be more a software setup then a hardware setup
So depending on what your trying to achieve as im still not clear why you need to take this direction with your channels as I think your trying to create a matrix but with the ends taken off due to the triangle shape.

I would think the easiest way to achieve what i think you want is by mapping these into your sequencing software, the method used would vary depending on the software used.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Timon said:
I'd like to make a special matrix that is not rectangular and because of that I'd like to be able to skip pixels but keep the addresses so programming is easier. Here is an example.
take a 5 X 12 folded matrix which would normally take 60 pixels. I want to only us 34 because there is no grid area for the rest as the base is a triangle. So the live pixels would be 1, 21-31 and 39-60 and another one that would be 1-12, 15-31, 37-40 and 60 with both of those mapped into a DMX space starting at "N" through N+59.
Why you ask, to do something like this.
John

John this is not an issue to be resolved by a Hardware solution, the hardware with regards to Pixels just gets wired behind the scene as a continous string.
This IS a software issue, the software needs to support true Pixel Mapping NOT just matrix assignment of strings into a Matrix array.
This is the power that software like LightFactory and Madrix and even PixelToy brings to the table, the ability to map individual pixels to DMX channels. You can manually do it in Vixen2 but that's just sheer hard work.
As for the "Ultimate tree" great concept but at only an effective resolution of 760 pixels hardly ultimate.
Couple of ways to tackle this but i would be looking to just wire the triangles with pixel 1 in the 90 degree corner and then just run top to bottom till i reached the other base corner then map it in software.
Phil

Timon

Apprentice elf
Yea, I thought the same thing about the ultimate tree, 760 pixels for a 20+ foot tree is not very ultimate although it does look good.

It looks like software is the way to go. Sean should be able to program it with Nutcracker.

I would like to build a 10' tree, not including the trunk, this year which would have 1,300 pixels on 2" spacing and enlarge it to 12', 1,848 pixels, next year. Since its modular you just need to add 5 modules of 96 pixels plus the two wings and another controller.

If you made a 20' tree it would require 5,000 pixels and take near 30 universes. That's approaching ultimate.

BillInSoFL

Apprentice elf
I've attached 2 examples I put together really quick in Excel. This is how I wrap my brain about mapping the pixels in software. Irregular shapes will require a bit more setup than your string or standard grid.

In Madrix you can use the fixture configuration tool to build your "fixtures" (in this case a mini-tree or star) then patch them into your configuration as many times as you need. Think of the setup as a matrix. Each block gets X & Y coordinates and you only map RGB channels to blocks with X's. The pixels could be anything. For my stars I'm using 5, 10, 20 and 30 rectangular WS2801 modules.

It should be easy enough to build a Nutcracker module to do something very similar to what is discussed in this thread. You just need to put pixels in the same order.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-04-22 at 8.25.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-22 at 8.25.07 AM.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screen Shot 2012-04-22 at 8.25.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-04-22 at 8.25.21 AM.png
    10 KB · Views: 3