Are these able to be made controllable??

badger4543

Full time elf
bought these and used them last year and they are perfect size for where I need them but they aren't controllable, they are 12v and came with a ir remote. Any ideas on how I could make these controlable?? I thought of just pulling the guts out and replacing with a led board of my own but also thought maybe somone may know abit of a hack with this type of light.

Thanks in advace

Attachments

• 20200822_154511.jpg
    20200822_154511.jpg
    755.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200822_154536.jpg
    20200822_154536.jpg
    750.6 KB · Views: 28

badger4543

Full time elf
Let us know the end result if you do.
I've got a few spot lights that I'd like to utilise these modules in as well.

I'm not anticipating them to be bright but they'll give a new lease of life.
View attachment 15228
Have you tested these? I thought if I got something that still fit under the glass they should shine pretty similar as the did

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Have you tested these? I thought if I got something that still fit under the glass they should shine pretty similar as the did
I haven't got any but I've been eyeing them.
Although as I posted the above I thought that this one will be more brighter,

Given that 3W rating is for 3 LEDs (RGB) all on at full brightness, so 1W per LED.
The previous ones are advertised as 1.44W total, so 0.5W per LED.

Like the original circuit board in your one, the brightest possible output is all colours on to produce full white. Any other colour will be dimmer, like just Red.

On the other hand, LEDs are fairly bright; on the Official xLights Support group on Facebook there is many people making their own 'spots' using multiple bullet nodes inside a PVC pipe.

damo1271

Full time elf
A while back ("while" being a couple of years) i had shared some instructions to use a DC SSR and convert it into a pixel driver using a WS2811 board (eg one from a pixel or you can buy then on line). The cost is only a few dollars in total and it allows you to drive almost anything. I think one of the Adelaide mini videos has the info.
With this light hack you could probably do a similar thing, but wouldnt need the DC SSR. Perhaps looks for the RGB floodlight hacks and I think you can follow the same process. Basically if you have a spare pixel, remove the led, then solder wires from where the LED was to the inside of the spotlight. You need to find the resistors that connect to the gate of mosfets that drive the LEDs. Remove the resistor and solder the wires there. Make sure you have the spotlight ground connected to the ground of the pixel - either directly (better since less voltage drop), or via the power supply.