BBB or Raspberry Pi

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
I am looking to buy a SBC to start familiarising myself with FPP, I have watched many youtube videos on the subject and see you can put it on both BBB and Pi.

I am looking to use it as my show computer and am not sure which to buy Pi4 Pi3 , BBB, what would you recommend???

darylc

404 darylc not found
Ultimately Pi is more suited for playback (it has audio). BBB is more suited as a controller (panels/pixels).

Pi3 or 4 doesn't matter so much. 4 is faster but runs hotter.

JCooper

New elf
This was my first year. I grabbed a BBB to use with hanson electronics HE123. I was only going to do animation and not to music. But the minister of finance and planning wanted them synchronized to music so I grabbed a Pi4 as well. As Daryl mentioned the BBB will not do audio. I would purchase a Pi for a show computer

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
Sitting in the office where I should be working but finding myself easily distracted today, I'm thinking I might pick up a Pi4 tomorrow and give it a go while my show is still setup so it may be a busy weekend. I see Pi4 Model B 4GB for $105 on sale today.

daunce

Full time elf
This was my first year with pixels and I used a rPi3 with FPP, it also controlled my P10’s, and had audio into my FM transmitter.
I already had a rPi to tinker with ((50-60$) so it came in handy, and since I needed something to drive the panels, I figured I might as well use it to run the show.
It worked pretty well. No complaints from me. I’ll do the same again next year.