Best practice for custom model

Adsy

Full time elf
Ok so, I wish to design a vertical prop with a difference but I'm having difficulty with tight radius circles on the mapping.
I can make it perfectly using the various models in x lights and can save them as a group, but as I know it there is no way to move them as a whole combined
I can also make it physically no dramas it's more getting the node quantity info correct so if anyone can give some advice i would appreciate it
Cheers Adam

Adsy

Full time elf
Without giving everything way just yet the prop would be about 215mm wide with conduit frame so the largest circle would fit inside this.
Could I just enlarge the grid width wise to counter for the staggering that would need to occur?

orlandoal

Angry Elf!
Hi Adsy,

Without more info it is hard to try to imagine what you are trying to do. I am really new at this pixel stuff, but have made a few of my own props, what I used and what helped me, was Xlights Custom Model Builder from peace family lights, https://www.lightshowhub.com/ you can basically make your own prop layout, save/export it as an xLights model and then you should not have any issues moving it around, assuming of course you can use Custom Model Builder to do what it is you need to do.

If I am way off, then apologies.

orlandoal

Angry Elf!
Adsy,

From what you described in your original post, it seems that you have managed to create what you want, but cannot keep all the componant parts together? if I am reading it correctly.

I took a still capture of your video and created the attached model using David Peace's program, including some submodels. Is the model I have created the kind of thing you are trying to do, or have I got it all wrong? I don't want to be trying to teach you to suck eggs, when I am a total newbie.

Attachments

• Spear_Arrow_Thingy.xmodel
    4.4 KB · Views: 5

Adsy

Full time elf
Thanks to @orlandoal and @Zuseleets for your help. Creating the custom model on the computer was my hurdle not the design or building process, so now i have a few different ways to make this happen. Options to sub model this was what I was also looking for, so I look forward to creating my first custom model 👍 👍 👍