Best way to control dumb 12V RGB led strips (not WS LEDs)

ajp

New elf
I have some existing RGB 12V LED strips that I want to use to make some LED pixel tubes (eg https://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/nanlite-pavotube-t8-7x-rgbww-led-pixel-tube) to include in a light display.
I would plan to setup an FPP with one of the GPIO outputs to send DMX data. I would then use an arduino (nano, uno - I have several) to decode the DMX data and generate 3xPWM signals for the RGB LEDs
Is there another way for FPP to control a single RGB LED?

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
Something like this maybe?

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
WLED with mosfets driven by 3 pins on an esp32 will do the same thing if you're looking to squeeze it into a tight space, otherwise the Dig2Analog would do the trick, just bear in mind it's maximum capacity per channel when choosing the led strips.

ajp

New elf
Hi thewanderingpine. Yes, that would work, but I could also use a WS2811 chip to do the decoding (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1378) and just get it to take place of one WS2812B pixel in a channel. This will probably work better regarding timing with other WS2812 leds in a string.
I was wanting to play around with a DMX512 device and understand the capabilities of FPP

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Cool... but it'd be 30 cents cheaper to just tap into a whole bullet or square pixel and you'd get attached board, power wires, and a "status LED". Bring your own mosfets and dumb string...

You can insist on using DMX out of curiosity I guess but that's a lot of baggage that you don't need. I didn't ever put it in the show but I have in the lab got FPP (BBB)->12V DMX DC controller->strobe tubes... a lot of equipment considering you can just slip seed pixels into the tube and have full RGB per pixel.

DroneMaster278

New elf
I used dumb LEDs this year, and i made a simple circuit using a ESP32 with WLED controlled by xLights to control 5 strands of dumb LEDs.

ajp

New elf
Thanks Merryoncherry, a good idea, have ordered some tape to try

merryoncherry

Senior elf
I wasn't entirely serious. But I can say that the pixels can be dismantled by peeling the flexible cover off with a craft knife, then immersing in acetone to remove the epoxy. This will unfortunately destroy the wire insulation also, but (to my amazement) chips and LED remain intact and fully working.

The other thing I wonder about is drilling into the pixel and using conductive epoxy to connect.

Then I realized I have a lot of other ws2811 or similar stuff that would be easier to hack up... maybe the China vendor would even send you some bare.

ajp

New elf
I like the idea of a status LED. The strip I ordered is non IP, and can be cut at each pixel, so easy access for the data line and power. I just unsolder one of the LEDs and tap in to RGB

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
Something like this maybe?

Just had a thought about this one, because it uses the 4 channel ws2814f chip, it could be more difficult to slot in line with existing 3 channel 281x strings/strips, or even on a controller if it hasn't got a per-port protocol option.