Big W Icicles 2011

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
I have been to Big W a few times looking for Red icicles and green icicles but none at my local one. Has anyone seen them at their Big W?

Mike

CLAP infected!
Beacy. Blue and white only over here too.

Didnt know they were making different colour icicles.
Although I may have seen a multicolour set. But i cant confirm ....... My memory is not so good

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
i can confirm multi colour icicle, just looked at what i bought the other day, and one set was icicle.. grrrrrrrrr.

2 x GREEN starter kits for my kingdom,

kel

Dedicated elf
??? I know the feeling ... got to the checkout with a few strings and realised that my wht strings were icicles ... had to do a dash a try to replace them ... no wht strings though ... so went away without any wht from BigW

Matt said:
i can confirm multi colour icicle, just looked at what i bought the other day, and one set was icicle.. grrrrrrrrr.

2 x GREEN starter kits for my kingdom,

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
In my experience, Big W has only ever had icicles in multi, cool white, warm white and blue, never in red or green. I have used strings to make something equivalent to icicles in red and green by zip tying the strings into a series of drop down loops. This gives a similar effect to icicles.

On another topic - I think I had a win with Big W on line - yesterday, I noticed they had put up their christmas stock, but the pricing was all over the place - low side. I decided to test it out and ordered about 15 strings in anticipation of next years requirements. The order was processed and I now have shipping confirmation at prices of $9/string and $6/icicle string (connectable 200 light sets). Rechecked the web site today and the prices have not changed, BUT all the lights are now listed as "out of stock". I'll wait and see if my order actually arrives. Here's hoping.

Regards Geoff

Beacy

They did have some last year.

On the other note - shifty - shouldnt have told us we''ll all do it now

Mike

CLAP infected!
Wife reckons if you took the printout from the website instore they would have to price match it by law because its listed on the site

BTW white LED rope 10m for $5 :)

Beacy

Geoff the zip tie method may be an option you wouldn't happen to have a picture of the zip tied string by any chance

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
Beacy said:
Geoff the zip tie method may be an option you wouldn't happen to have a picture of the zip tied string by any chance

In 2010, I used zip tied strings as icicles for both green and cool white icicles around my top roofline. There were red and blue actual icicles present as well, (the red I got from e-bay some years back, but they have now died and I have rebuilt red strings as icicles for this year 2011.) The day picture may not help a lot, but basicly I used a wire along the top which was actually the supply to the icicles which I took to the far end and worked back. I counted 12 bulbs on the string, then used 10 to form a down/up drop (~200mm spacing, then the other 2 to add to the top wire to give the spacing for the start of the next drop.

Night time picture shows the green string/icicles on.

I did green because I could not source green icicles locally. The cool white (in conjunction with the green) were to provide some block chase effects along the roofline. You can see some of these in the Joy to the World clip at about 1 & 3 minutes in. 2010 Sinnamon Lights - Joy to the World Animation

Regards Geoff

Attachments

• Icicles by day - P1020573.jpg
    Icicles by day - P1020573.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Icicles by night = P1020791.jpg
    Icicles by night = P1020791.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 22

coobyking

New elf
just been to big W with a print out of online price and manager said "big W online is different from regular big W stores " so would not give it to me at that price