Big W lights ideas

cheyne.m

New elf
hi everyone im new here and was wondering what type of thing i can do with all my Big W lights. I have heaps of them and would like to do some custom things with them. if anyone has done anything or has any ideas i would love to hear them
Cheers

mborg10

Michael Borg
Wrap them around a hula hoop and make a giant wreath or wrap around some electrical conduit and bend into an arch..

And there is always a mega tree

cheyne.m

New elf
thanks heaps i have done the arch but was looking at doing something different the hula hoop sounds like a great idea my kids have one somewhere i could use

Lenny

New elf
last year i made marty fans from bigW lights and pvc. they were 2metres wide and used 600 lights each. this year i have made mini trees they are 1.5 tall with 200 lights each.

i13

Dedicated elf
The big question is which year(s) you bought them. If you're interested in computer control then they need to be 2014 or older.

If you're not sure then check the number of wires between the 8 function controller and the first LED. There needs to be three wires not two.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Lenny said:
last year i made marty fans from bigW lights and pvc. they were 2metres wide and used 600 lights each. this year i have made mini trees they are 1.5 tall with 200 lights each.

What are marty fans?! Do you have pics Lenny? I'm keen to add something else with my spare DC strings...

cheyne.m

New elf
There a 3 wires going to the 8 function controller i would really love to get into doing the computer controlled stuff but don't know how or where to start and what i would need i was looking at getting a light o rama set up but that's as far as i got

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Michael, just a few questions on your fan if I may. I have some DC strings that I was given last Christmas that I need to find a use for.

I see your fan has 4 sections.

1) are the lights on the arch in each section a different channel to the fan. ie you control lights in fan separately to the spiral string around the arch in each section. This would then be 8 sections to control.

2) what is the radius of the arch and how many lights/length of string in each section (1/4 of arch).

Obviously you get more sequencing options with more sections but it still looks the goods with 4.

Thanks

i13

Dedicated elf
cheyne.m said:
There a 3 wires going to the 8 function controller i would really love to get into doing the computer controlled stuff but don't know how or where to start and what i would need i was looking at getting a light o rama set up but that's as far as i got
If there are three wires then you have the older type which are compatible with DC controllers. LOR is an expensive way to get hold of these controllers. You can buy DMX controllers that do exactly the same thing at a fraction of the price per channel if you get them within Australia or directly from China.

There is a fair bit of learning, testing, setting up etc so it would be an achievable goal for next year. I went through this in 2013 and it was worth the effort.

You're very lucky to have light sets with the three wires. If you get dud sections then they are worth fixing because they are hard to find in shops now. Watch out for this whenever you buy light sets with an 8 function controller. Pretty much all low voltage light sets without an 8 function controller will work with DC computer control but they can only be one channel.

Charger

Apprentice elf
Hi Cheyne. My display is made up almost exclusively of the old style Big W Lights.

I have two large pillars at the front of my house that I cover with lights - I actually tie the lights to wire mesh to get even spacing then wrap the pillars with the mesh. These have the biggest impact of my display.

This year I also made some mini trees - wrapped tomato trellises from Bunnings with lights.

I also made some small balls - Zip tied two hanging baskets together (minus the chains and thatch stuff) and wrapped these with lights.

As well as some big balls for the garden - Using this method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDWY6JGF0jc although I found that chicken wire wasn't strong enough to keep the shape, so I had to use some thicker gauge mesh (once again Bunnings)

I am very happy with the way they all turned out.

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.