BigW fairy lights

AngieHarrison

Apprentice elf
1 more question pls.
So i read 101 book it said i can use fairy lights ( like BigW string ) cut the controller and use a dc controller.
My question: can i use cmb24d ?
Or do we (in Australia)have a dc controller can work with LOR software? If yes can get a link pls ?

i13

Dedicated elf
Don't buy this year's Big W lights. There is no controller that is compatible with them.

You need to look for a light set with three wires or more between the 8-function controller and lights. This doesn't apply if there is no 8-function controller.

There are plenty of DC DMX controllers to choose from
http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/Controllers

The one to choose depends on your exact requirements.

i13

Dedicated elf
I made a mistake in the post above so I've fixed it now.

What are you looking for in a controller? Plug-and-play, price, etc? My personal favourite is the 27 channel one due to the price but it needs a little but of modification to help it handle more current and you need to add fuses if you want them. There are ready-to-go options with higher current capacity, termination jumpers and fuses but you do have to pay a bit more. These are typically Australian so they'll arrive faster.

You're not limited to DMX input either because of AAH's boards that run inline with pixels.

It is a pain tyring to get store-bought lights running because they all want a slightly different voltage and you need to correct this. It's time consuming but only needs doing once.

AngieHarrison

Apprentice elf
Yes mate, i am looking for dc controller for a fairy lights also can worked in LOR software.
I used advanced software at the moment (but will upgrade to superstar soon so i able to use a pixcon).
This is my 2nd year in LOR with 3 of cmb24d, 1 pixcon for mega tree (didn't use yet) and 4 residential controllers. (I didn't know that we in aussie have our own controllers and more cheaper until i joined in this forum, shame on me [emoji20])

ozdude

New elf
Hi guys,

Just in relation to that comment on this year's Big W lights. I just this evening bought some and noticed that the controller is an integral power supply / MFC. I also was a little perplexed how they were controlling them as it appears they are only on a two wire line. I can only guess that they get the twinkling effect over two wires by inverting the DC voltage and using the properties of LED to pass current in one direction only having wired each alternate string 180 degrees out of phase. Am I on the right track here? In any case I will be steering away from them too as they will be a pain to wire up.

i13

Dedicated elf
I don't want to get too off-topic but you're right about the inverting voltage. None of the controllers for computer controlled setups are able to do this. You can see the inverting voltage by waving the LEDs around quickly.