Brisbane Mini 2025 idea

crazymofo

Apprentice elf
After what i feel was a successful and productive mini for this year, i have some ideas i would like to put forward as an idea for next year.

Hosting one a bit earlier in the year with a similar structure of topics of what we covered this year. This gives new people to the hobby an introduction to the terminology and basic processes and ideas for what they might want to accomplish for the year. Also able to answer any questions that will arise.

Another more hands on workshop orientated day around September. My idea is to setup a projector with a presenter (or presenters) and actually go from start to finish of getting a show up and running. Ask attendants to bring their own laptop to follow a step by step design in xlights (we all end up with the exact same setup/layout). Noone gets left behind.

The day would start with setting up FPP from loading on SD card to getting it running on a Pi (this would just be the presenter setting it up for us to use as a finished product). If we could get hold of a F16 to use to help us be able to demonstrate a finished setup at the end.

Next would be setting up a design in xlights start to finish, all attendants following presenter to create the exact same layout (background image, models, controllers, etc).

Follow on from this to then all loading up the same sequence to map and render (again, following the presenters instructions on the projector).

This would culminate in the presenters design uploading to the originally setup FPP/F16 and being able to push the finished product to show a working product.

This can then lead to a hands on demonstration to multiple different ways to power inject the sequenced props.

If we could maybe have 2 or 3 different props pre populated with pixels supplied for use on the day. With the possibility of maybe raffling off the days used props/pixels to a few of the lucky attendants. This might help cover the cost of the items a bit for vendors.

Happy to hear everyone’s thoughts!!

I like this idea also. Unfortunately work commitments prevented me from attending this year, but more than willing and happy to assist with presenting this. Also remember there is a wealth of knowledge on Youtube. Some really knowledgeable people there. Start with VCS (Virtual Christmas Summit) and FPP shorts. Really good info there. @crazymofo I think this will be super valuable for new and experienced people. Let's see if we can lock in some dates and venues, as well as people willing and interested to present. I am more than willing to take the lead on this, but also want to give other people the opportunity to present.

It sounds like an awesome idea, there's quite a few people that would really benefit from the hands on aspect - there were some new guys that walked out the door with big expectations for their build this year, but a huge disconnect of the actual depth of the rabbit hole.

This would definitely fill in those voids. I just hope that if anyone that we met at the mini needs any help at all, that they know there are all of us like minded people that will help to sort it out. A get together again of those same people and more, will be superb.

Happy to help out with materials for the day ('s) if that is needed.

Hi Team,

It was very helpful that the more experienced members could share ideas and provide support getting the more novice members help and advice - I include myself in that boat. So many tasks to complete to bring the show together. I already have more questions and while the forum is great that face-to-face interaction of asking questions and having that explanation is priceless and so well received - Thank you. I would be interested in a hands on workshop.

After what i feel was a successful and productive mini for this year, i have some ideas i would like to put forward as an idea for next year.

Hosting one a bit earlier in the year with a similar structure of topics of what we covered this year. This gives new people to the hobby an introduction to the terminology and basic processes and ideas for what they might want to accomplish for the year. Also able to answer any questions that will arise.

Another more hands on workshop orientated day around September. My idea is to setup a projector with a presenter (or presenters) and actually go from start to finish of getting a show up and running. Ask attendants to bring their own laptop to follow a step by step design in xlights (we all end up with the exact same setup/layout). Noone gets left behind.

The day would start with setting up FPP from loading on SD card to getting it running on a Pi (this would just be the presenter setting it up for us to use as a finished product). If we could get hold of a F16 to use to help us be able to demonstrate a finished setup at the end.

Next would be setting up a design in xlights start to finish, all attendants following presenter to create the exact same layout (background image, models, controllers, etc).

Follow on from this to then all loading up the same sequence to map and render (again, following the presenters instructions on the projector).

This would culminate in the presenters design uploading to the originally setup FPP/F16 and being able to push the finished product to show a working product.

This can then lead to a hands on demonstration to multiple different ways to power inject the sequenced props.

If we could maybe have 2 or 3 different props pre populated with pixels supplied for use on the day. With the possibility of maybe raffling off the days used props/pixels to a few of the lucky attendants. This might help cover the cost of the items a bit for vendors.

Happy to hear everyone’s thoughts!!
sounds like a great idea if you can get some to donate a few pixels I’ll donate some props to push for the giveaway

Thanks @Johnno, @Christmas Props Aus. and @CarlosF for your generous donations. I've been having a look at the calendar and September is fast approaching. My weekends are also getting filled up pretty quickly, but I am still available for the 21st / 22nd and the final weekend in September 28 / 29th. Please also bear in mind, that it is getting close to that time of year when ordering stuff from abroad, it potentially may not arrive in time, and those doing a Haloween show leaves you with very limited time to sort it all out. Personally I've still got a pixel forest to build, build a new megatree base and winch, and re-learn Remote Falcon. I also don't want to steal any thunder from anybody else who would like to present so more than open to discuss.
I can bring my laptop, and show a clean install and start from scratch with xLights. A Raspberry Pi for FPP (also showing how and where to get FPP from and install it) a Falcon controller and a couple of props to test everything. I've also got an Ultra Short Throw projector to show everything. All we need is a venue with internet and a date. Let's lock it in.

I’m pretty busy this year so don’t know if i will personally have much time to help make this happen. But definitely next year i would like to really help new people entering into the hobby. I agree that as you get closer to the end of the year it is harder for lead times on getting orders, but hopefully people have already got stuff ordered/received and this will be a big help for those who need help with the programming and setting up side of things.

I’m pretty busy this year so don’t know if i will personally have much time to help make this happen. But definitely next year i would like to really help new people entering into the hobby. I agree that as you get closer to the end of the year it is harder for lead times on getting orders, but hopefully people have already got stuff ordered/received and this will be a big help for those who need help with the programming and setting up side of things.
I'm in the same boat, if I'm free, I'm happy to help, but getting less and less, towards the end of the year. I am also thinking next year, otherwise always happy to help if I can

Just an idea - there would be some sort of catch up in March (practical) and then the mini (same as this year late July) Just something to consider for early in the year. Everyone will be in frantic getting their display in order from now onwards.

Just an idea - there would be some sort of catch up in March (practical) and then the mini (same as this year late July) Just something to consider for early in the year. Everyone will be in frantic getting their display in order from now onwards.
we were initially looking at some sort of build party in September, and I meant to try and organise something, but I'm thinking I've left the run too late.

The Mini we were looking at holding earlier next year than it was this year, and this thread was for ideas/suggestions on it.

Back