Building a larger arch

RolyT

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
Has anyone built a larger arch that can advise how to stand it up or keep it stable?

I am making a larger arch with 6m of led strips in 38mm seeder tube and having some erection issues so to speak...it looks like I may need multiple cross braces and larger feet/legs to keep it upright so looking for ideas if anyone has done similar?

Alternatively I may brace it but also mount on the house...

Cheers
Ryan

I have fold up frames with 3D print clips to hold the tubes in 5 places, and those are held by steel garden posts (which I prefer to rebar for that size) (and, yes, zip ties). It is not attached to the hedge, but it certainly doesn't hurt that the hedge is there as a windbreak...

20241011_074800.jpg

20241011_074922.jpg

2017 lights.jpg
The arch over my driveway has 2 5m 12V 2811 strips on it and was rolled from 2 lengths of 30x30mm RHS. It's bolted to the railway line posts that make up my gate posts. The centre of the arch is about 4.5m high (formerly 5.5m). The arch and lights haven't been taken down in 3 years as there's plenty of room for trucks to drive under. The 30x30 rhs is strong enough to happily span the 7.5m??? width of the driveway. The posts in my case are strong enough to support the arch in 100kmh wind. The arch is bolted at top and bottom of the 1.2m high posts. If someone was doing similar and wasn't using rather solid posts I'd suggest staying directly behind the arch up at about 45 degrees.
The arch is also used to run power, ethernet and dmx cables from the house side of the driveway across the the front corner.

Back